Oil leak

Guest simlog

Friends... fellow enthusiasts.

I'm on the home straight following an extensive restoration project and have run out of ideas and, if I'm honest, interest !! To my complete surprise the engine not only turned over but fired up following a complete (and I mean complete, nothing bolted to nothing) rebuild.

I put it into gear and again, to my surprise, it moved under its own steam for the first time in 9 years. Keep in mind I run an IT business and had no interest in cars until S+S introduced me to the joys  of the motor trade. (Steve,Simon,I know you read the forum but don't worry,I have nothing but praise for your service)

My spirits were not dampened by what seemed like a small oil leak coming from the back of the sump/engine area. However, I've had the geabox out but  cannot tell where it's coming from. I cannot face taking the geabox out again. I'm in Little Hay which is between Lichfield and Sutton Coldfield. If anybody fancies a look at a fully restored 7 and  giving me some inspiration/ideas it will be much appreciated. I could do with a look at a convertible so that I can remember how some of the trim goes back in.

Yours in thankful expectation

Simon 07866 568290

Oil Leak

Perhaps its the engine rear oil seal? I installed an engine that had been dry stored for several years-------everything ran well except an oil leak developed ----same as yours.  Mine leaks badly when car is parked nose up, otherwise not a severe problem. I 'manage' mine by using an oil tray on the garage floor and making sure I frequently top up. Ive been running like this for two years--and still no sign of cluch slip ( which some predicted) If you want to see to it, it is an engine out job. Im told you can do it by dropping the gearbox, but its a nightmare job , doing it that way.. Good luck!