Engine cooling - a cautionary tale...

Guest Chris Draper

Guest Chris Draper

Just thought I'd share this one wth you - it's kind of amusing in a perverse sort of way...

As some of you may have noticed from some of my posts, I've had a few problems with engine cooling. In the past year, that's culminated in a new engine, & constant worry over cooling efficiency.

From other people's comments on this forum, I decided that the existing 12 inch cooling fan was pretty feeble -  it was blowing air in the right direction, just not much of it - so a larger new one was in order.

When I took the old fan off I found that a previous owner (don't know who!) had mounted a fan designed to pull air through the rad on the opposite side of the rad and had simply reversed the wiring to make it run backwards. Only problem with this of course is that fan blades are curved and don't work too well in reverse...

Moral of the story - don't assume that previous owners necessarily knew what they were doing!!

Anyhow, wiring now put back the right way round & old fan replaced by a heavy duty 14 inch Pacet Professional which shifts serious amounts of air & hopefully will help me to stop worrying!