Where to find a sound TR6

Guest whitetop

Guest whitetop

Hi,

I'm a novice at this, but am looking for a sound car on behalf of my son, who is shortly to return from an overseas posting.

Could anyone give guidance on what to watch out for when buying a reasonably priced TR6 if any still exist?

Are they safe to buy privately, or should one go for a dealer sale - more expensive no doubt?

If etiquette allows, please feel free to use my email addresses, chalmers@gnba.net[/email] or chalmersdobson@tiscali.co.uk.[/email]

Whilst new to the use of your forum, I've spent the last 45 years buying or selling cars, as a hobby and interest, not a trade.  I do know a fair amount about cars in general, but little about the TR6 except that the injection system had a reputation as rather hit and miss when the cars were first manufactured.

Thanks!

Whitetop (?)

Hi and welcome to the forum. This is a topic that pops up regularly & there are many sources of such information. My advice is to start by reading back through previous posts on this & related topics where you should find answers, or leads to answers, for most of your questions. After digesting all of this, post back on specific questions rather than a general catch all & you will get a good response.

I would add that I believe the PI systems ‘bad reputation’ was mainly down Sunday afternoon meddlers & carburettor mechanics who had no idea what the Lucas system was all about.

Hi Whitetop (is that your car or your head?!), as Richard, welcome to the forum.   My advice is to join the TRegister, trawl through the ads in TRAction, go along to your local group's meetings, get to know who the experts are, and ask their help.   Personally, I'd rather buy privately, the money saved can go some of the way to putting a few things right.   Buy Roger Williams' book "how to restore a TR5, 250, and 6" some very good advice on what to look for.
Guest simonwtaylor

:o Whitetop, I have recently been asking similar questions, and have found all of the advice so far to be of use. Particularly that piece about Roger Williams' book. I managed to clean up some line drawings from an overseas website and have managed to pull together a checklist of what to look for when buying a car. The contents of the list I took from Rogers book! It's not intended to be an experts guide, more a memory jogger to keep me on track and stop me from getting carried away with the moment so to speak. If you would like a copy I can email it to you (its an Excel file). There really is no better way of understanding these cars and what is out there than by looking at as many as possible. In a couple of months I have looked at over a dozen, and am rapidly begining to know when to walk away and when to keep digging. Happy hunting!

Simon. :D