Ilkley Jubilee Rally

Ade and I just got back from the Ilkley Jubilee Rally, we came first in class in the beginners again, but managed to beat all the novices too, coming 15th overall. Time penalty was under 10 minutes behind the winner, which we were very pleased with. We also picked up a proper silver trophy, the Peel trophy, and a couple of engraved tankards. :D

Andy Heywood entered the "tour" and did very well in his immaculate TR3a, again winning his class.

The "foxy" (as Tony called it) powder blue TR4 was there, but as Andy Duck so rightly pointed out the navigator remains even foxier! They were on the tour too and did very well on the tests.

Nobody replied to my request for tyre pressure, so we went out with 20f and 23r, which worked fine - the Colway Road Plus are far superior to the Emjos, even on the loose - highly recommended. Tony's trick rear shocks were a revelation, but have now showed up how bad the front ones are - any recommendations anyone? - need to change them in a hurry before the Welsh Retro at the end of April. Avo adjustables? Something else? What should I do about the front springs? Anything? ???

thanks and cheers

Andy Lane

Guest mrodbert

Well done, great result. Last year the Ilkley was one of the best events I did, but unfortunately family holiday intervened this year.

Just need to make sure you don't get another top-15 finish, otherwise you'll be straight past the novices and into the expert category  :)

We also favour Road plus, although without a lot to compare against. Last summer we uprated the front springs using the Revington "fast road" springs and adjustable shocks. You have to be a bit careful as some organisers dont allow adjustable shocks - although no one has ever checked us.

These seem to work really well although again compared to the broken and knackered previous set anything would have been an improvement once you get used to the bonnet being 3 inches higher.

Anyone doing the Hughes in May?

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Just need to make sure you don't get another top-15 finish, otherwise you'll be straight past the novices and into the expert category  :)

Ooo-er missus, there's only 12 entries in the Welsh Retro, so does that mean that if we finish at all we're suddenly "experts"  ???  oh dear - we'll have to start getting competitive now ...  :D

cheers

Andy Lane

Guest mrodbert

'fraid so. its normally part of the supplementary regs, and therefore depends on the event; but on HRCR events there's normally a bit on classes based on performance. eg at random from the Hughes Rally:

NOVICE - A crew in which no member has had two or more finishes in the top 15 places overall of a National B (formerly Restricted) or higher status rally.

So if the Ilkley and Welsh are both National B's then you're an Expert not a novice.

But lets be clear - I've never had any top-15 finishes, and I think you should be extremely proud and roundly congratulated in the forum on your performance; especially given how difficult it is.

Mark

Now I don't want you to think we did this on purpose Mark ;)  but we failed to finish the Welsh Retro, in fact we almost failed to start - only made it to ONE control before failing to negotiate a steep downhill hairpin right - driver error, I failed to read the road correctly, thought the road went straight on, but that turned out to be a farm track with a gate and the road went right, only realised too late and slid on the dried mud surface, got about 90 degrees round a 135 bend, which left us at 45 degrees through a fence + hedge and beached with all 4 wheels in the air on a huge boulder :(

Luckily very little damage due to big sump guard and very strong chassis (but will take Tony's advice and make it longer next time as we only just missed damaging the gearbox) brake and fuel lines are inside now, so we were able to carry on, just too late to rejoin the rally unfortunately.

All part of the learning curve - we're out again on the Witch Way, so far the only historic I think :D - just need a bit of exhaust with round section rather than ribbon shaped  ???  and we'll be fine!

Cheers

Andy