TR 7 Steering

Guest JohnG

Guest JohnG

After a few nights experimenting with the above in the garage ,I may have found a better way of fitting the sierra strut top bearings.

While fitting these in the past I have noted 2 areas,the ride height is increased by approx 12mm ,but most importantly,the threaded part of the strut protruding through the locating cup(ULC2435) is dramatically reduced,not a good situation if using nylocs.

To overcome this ,I have machined the wide part of the mounting cone (UKC7495) from the centre of the hole to a radius of 21.07mm and a depth of 8.25mm. This 42.14mm by 8.25mm recess houses the sierra bearing nicely,the nyloc  locates fully and it would appear that less force is put on the  bearing when tightened, it appears to have a lighter castor action.

I have the triumphtune needle roller bearings fitted to my Sprint these cost £50.00 + vat,the above conversion costs less than £10 incl vat for the bearings and should cost no more than £20 to have the cones machined. I find the sierra conversion far superior ,nothing like power steering but much better than std.

Cheers

JohnG

• 1 year later...
Guest heeley

John G,

Your advice re: fitting of sierra bearings was invaluable. Just performed the machining myself. NO way was I going to drive around with three threads of my nylocks engaged . Many thanks :)