Fuel guage returns to life

Hi all

Just a point of interest.

Having picked up my 3A after its 3 year lay up I noticed very intermitent fuel gauge function.This continued over the last 2 years and it eventually died completely. I have checked the gauge itself and the wiring and all was OK. I presumed the sender was faulty.

During the cars lay up it had very little fuel in the tank and since then I have only kept the tank one third full. However, recently I have moved to keeping the tank at least 3/4 full and by coincidence the fuel guage is working again.

I am presuming that the sender float arm may have got stuck at one end of its arc of movement over a 5 year period and now that the fuel level is higher the arm has been freed up.

Also, since the tank has more fuel and I have installed neoprene tipped float valves there is hardly any fuel smell in the garage.

Steve

Steve, on this side of the pond, we are taught to keep our fuel tanks as full as possible, particularly over long periods of non-use. Humidity and condensation are huge curses over here, so we keep our tanks pretty full during usage periods, and full (with a can of Sta-bil) when in storage.

Thanks for the info on the sender. It may keep someone from replacing a sender that did not need replacing.