Halda gears and the usual setup for tr's

Guest tr4atony

Guest tr4atony

We all know that the Halda twinmaster is the holy grail of tripmeters for use in historica rallying - don't we! Ive tried the rest and got shot.

Im still wriggling with the wheel setup for maximum accuracy (this is where the Brantx lecky one scores hands down but aint egal for some events) - what combination of wheels do you all use for the respective tyre sizes. ???????

Im interested to see as I'm still trying to calibrate my gears (I have a spare full set now if anyone wants them!) and there seems to me two runs of gear sets that I oscillate between depending on tyre's, pressure and general ineptitude. Anby soothsayers out there with knowedge ??????

Thanks and regards

Tony

Guest mrodbert

Firstly - total respect for using the Halda. I decided against it as we never seem to have enought time or be organised enough to do the calibrating properly, which makes it worse than useless. We use the Retrotrip, which in principle is the same as the Brantz, but has a period look (and no penalties)

Secondly - what I have noticed is that each rally (be they HRCR, HERO or CRA) has its own calibration mile, and this varies wildly from rally to rally. By wildly I mean 10 parts in 500, but 2% is a lot to be out on regularities. But they don't change the mile from year to year so I've also seen seasoned campaigners carrying notes with all the different settings for their Brantzs for each rally - eg Bristow 663; Regis 671; etc.)

So, I assume you're going to set it once and then calculate a correction factor for each rally. If so, I'd love to know how you get on, as if possible, that would make Halda ownership a much more attractive proposition.

Sorry - not very helpful, but interested in your approach.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tr4atony

Hi Mark

Ive got the luxury of having a complete set of gears for the twinmaster and a police measured mile about 2 miles from home so getting the twin set up properly is my tactic. I think the conversions to 'rally measured mile' is probably how Ill go, but I may try manually calculating which gears to use from the tables I have!Ive experienced the variation too and I put this down to the organisers calibration of their own mileometer / twinmaster etc. What is sure is that one youre on their mile, things will add up.

I also have a brantz 2 which is easy to calibrate so I dare say Ill try this where I can get away with it, but as you say the halda is the right thing.