Connection to ignition coil?

Hi Everyone,

I just replaced a bunch of parts on my 1958 Triumph TR3 and am stumped on how to connect the ignition wire from the distributor cap to the ignition coil.

The end of the wire is not stripped and there is a small "L" shaped piece of wire running down though the middle of the wire.

I also have the brass washer and it is a screw-in type connector to the coil.

When I try to attach the wire to the coil and screw it in, the wire is still loose on the coil.

How is this supposed to connect to the coil so that it is secure? Attached is a picture of what I've done so far....

Thanks!

Mike

post-6227-1214842621_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1214842621_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

There are short and long screwed connectors.....the black plastic bit......you may have the short one and need the longer alternative.

Regards Dick.

Hello Mike,

you mention a L shaped bit of wire, this is used with carbon type ignition cable. The screw connector type fitting is really designed for copper cored cable. You strip the insulation back about a quarter of an inch then slip the washer over it and splay out the wire strands, screwing the hollow nut back into the coil, which clamps the cable. Certainly the length of the nut has to be correct but it will not secure carbon core ignition cable. Having said that it will work as long as there is no pull on the cable. H.T. doesn't need positive connection like a low voltage circuit. Remember the rotor arm doesn't (shouldn't) touch the contacts in the distributor cap.

Alec