A bit of a naive question perhaps but can I replace my standard seats for Sparco or other modern rally seats and still be eligable for Le Jog?

I am adding a rear firewall, roll bar, removing the front and rear bumpers, and have some time ago added an air box with a cold air pick up from the front of the car for the strombergs. Any views on how these affect my Le Jog application??? Not to mention my car is 1975...?!!

Taffy ???

Guest mrodbert

Taffy TR Man,

My general advise is a) call up HERO. I have found them helpful, friendly and willing to answer any question so long as they aren't a week away from a big rally. B) look at the specs for last year. If the're not on the website I have a copy I could fax you. Also the HRCR web-site has a technical section. But definitely phone and ask.

Specific advise: Rally seats are "Free". Which doesnt mean you dont have to pay for them, but does mean you can fit what you like as the're supposed to be a safety item. In general dayglo or bright blue seats or harnesses are frowned on in favor a more historically sympathetic black.

Roll bar is a necessity, again black is favoured. Rear firewall is probably a good idea although we dont have one. Just remember to put the carpets back. There is a rule that you cant strip out all the trim (inc carpets) in historic road rallying. Front and rear bumper removal should be ok. but not sure about the air box. There definitely was a TR6 doing the "girlies" route in 2002 so you should be ok, but enter for the reliability trial, its not a lot more endurance and loads more fun.

In general, the organisers are just trying to retain a period feel and avoid day-glo advertising bedecked 1958 TR3as as they wouldnt have been like that at the time.

But give them a call.

Regards,

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

I've just entered my 1961 TR4 for LeJog (with Ade as navigator) so have the general guidelines here (v. 1.4 - Feb 2002). The MSA regs for historic cars state that

"front seats may be improved or replaced"

so your Sparco seats are fine, but a 1975 car might be a problem  :(  - unless you can prove it was manufactured before 31/12/1974.

This is going to be my first historic rally so I thought we should get some practice in first - anyone any experience of the Targa Rusticana?

Cheers

Andy

Guest bjn

Did the Targa R last year.  Big entry (70 + cars).  Jogularity to start with, a bit of plotting (sorry cannot remember whether it was plot 'n' bash or not).  Loads of tests, mostly round the Royal Welsh Showground in Builth Wells - a bit tight for us (Volvo PV444).  I do remember one piece of map which was very precisely plotted - and we certainly dropped a few points on that section.  Not one of our better results. :(