Don't laugh, but........

Hi everone,

I've been a TR6 owner & TR Register member for almost one year now, and this is my first post. Got the car (1975 UK PI) out of the garage last weekend after laying-it up over the winter, started it up, and noticed it was running rough, maybe only firing on 5 cylinders. Checked the plugs (new at service/MOT last May, and only done 700 miles) and they were pretty much black & sooted-up at the business end. Cleaned them, checked the gaps and refitted them, but still engine missing a beat. If I rev it, get a sort of misfire pop, which sounds a bit ominous.

Any help or advice on what could be wrong wrong, and what needs to be done to fix this will be much appreciated (Summer beckons, and I'm itching to do at least one of my daily 100 mile round trip office commutes each week in the 6!

Hi everone,

I've been a TR6 owner & TR Register member for almost one year now, and this is my first post. Got the car (1975 UK PI) out of the garage last weekend after laying-it up over the winter, started it up, and noticed it was running rough, maybe only firing on 5 cylinders. Checked the plugs (new at service/MOT last May, and only done 700 miles) and they were pretty much black & sooted-up at the business end. Cleaned them, checked the gaps and refitted them, but still engine missing a beat. If I rev it, get a sort of misfire pop, which sounds a bit ominous.

Any help or advice on what could be wrong wrong, and what needs to be done to fix this will be much appreciated (Summer beckons, and I'm itching to do at least one of my daily 100 mile round trip office commutes each week in the 6!

Mike

Most probably one of your injectors is sticking - check each for a pulse when the engine is running. If one doesn't have a strong pulse, pull it out (taking great care not to explode in a fireball) and tap it on a suitable hard object and/or gently pull the needle on the tip of the injector. Hopefully this will restore a nice conical spray pattern and you'll be back to 6 cylinders. Good luck!

Mike

Most probably one of your injectors is sticking - check each for a pulse when the engine is running. If one doesn't have a strong pulse, pull it out (taking great care not to explode in a fireball) and tap it on a suitable hard object and/or gently pull the needle on the tip of the injector. Hopefully this will restore a nice conical spray pattern and you'll be back to 6 cylinders. Good luck!

Mike

Bill,

Thanks for this, I'll look-out the NBC suit (Protect & Survive - I'm showing my age), stick it on, and have a go!