TR6 Vs. TVR S3

Am looking at the possibility of chopping my 6 for one of these due to my loss of garage.

Wondered if anyone's owned/driven one and, indeed, what their thoughts were.

Big plusses in the TVR's favour include fibreglass panels, simple Ford tractor mechanicals, retro looks and old car charm in a newer package...............

Before I took the plunge into TR ownership, I did spend some time looking for a good S3. Decided not to bother in the end. They do have their weak points, such as the chassis outriggers. There is a strong TVR community over on the Pistonheads forum, and a lot of useful detail on S3 ownership and rebuilding.

John

Am looking at the possibility of chopping my 6 for one of these due to my loss of garage.

Wondered if anyone's owned/driven one and, indeed, what their thoughts were.

Big plusses in the TVR's favour include fibreglass panels, simple Ford tractor mechanicals, retro looks and old car charm in a newer package...............

hi there, my next door friend had a tvr in his garage last year, after the winter it was in a right state, mildew everywhere, my tr was as dry as a bone and no mildew on the leather seats, i drove the tvr a 3.9 beast, it drank fuel at an alarming rate. i found the ass end very slippery and a lot of undsteer, i used to lose him around town with the trs handling, ive done mine, it was well worth it, ive had lots of powerful cars an whilst the trs can be limiting i think the parts availibilty and cheap to run is a plus for me, i would'nt swap mine for a tvr, a cobra now thats a poss swap ha ha.. good luck with your search. p.s. get 1 without a cat!!

Had an S2 with the 2.9 V6 (although I think it may have been a late S1 as it had the S1 wheels on it). Don't be put off as they are great cars, had no bother what so ever with mine. Don't listen to half the cr@p people spout about reliabilty, as most of the people who spout it have never owned one. I ran mine for for 18 months with no bother and I have a mate who has had 2 chimaeras (a 4 litre and a 5 litre) again who had no bother. Later ones are a different question however.. Couple of negatives, not that it should put you off are that they are twitchy and they aren't really that fast, although the V6 makes a great noise so you feel like you are doing a million miles an hour. I would probs have a look at chinearas as well, as thier prices have now dropped quite a lot so similar to that of a decent S and they are seriusly quick. Also, if you find a rose-quartz couloured S with S1 wheels steer clear as it had a bit of a nasty time on hartside pass!!

Had an S2 with the 2.9 V6 (although I think it may have been a late S1 as it had the S1 wheels on it). Don't be put off as they are great cars, had no bother what so ever with mine. Don't listen to half the cr@p people spout about reliabilty, as most of the people who spout it have never owned one. I ran mine for for 18 months with no bother and I have a mate who has had 2 chimaeras (a 4 litre and a 5 litre) again who had no bother. Later ones are a different question however.. Couple of negatives, not that it should put you off are that they are twitchy and they aren't really that fast, although the V6 makes a great noise so you feel like you are doing a million miles an hour. I would probs have a look at chinearas as well, as thier prices have now dropped quite a lot so similar to that of a decent S and they are seriusly quick. Also, if you find a rose-quartz couloured S with S1 wheels steer clear as it had a bit of a nasty time on hartside pass!!

Thanks. Have had a look at Chimaera too. My feeling on 'S' cars is that they're closer in spirit to a 6.......I am surprised to hear that they aren't that quick, though. Part of the attraction was that they would offer a bit more grunt than the venerable TR. Also, I think the 'S' cars are of an age where most of the gremlins will have been attended to by current/previous owners. It strikes me as the sort of car that needs a 50-60,000 mile "shakedown" where suddenly lots seems to go wrong all at once and gets sorted by a committed owner only to be sold on to a lucky 4th/5th owner. I'm not in a hurry but thought I'd post here to see if anyone had owned/driven one. Seems I got lucky! It would have to be a very special car to get me to part with mine.