Johnny (I presume),

According to Bill Piggott's 'Original Triumph TR' book, Black does not appear to be listed as a body colour option for the TR6 at any stage. Chestnut is listed as a trim option against New White, Mimosa Yellow and Pimento Red for 1975, with New Tan as an additional trim option against further colours in earlier years and Beige similarly in 1976.

However, as I'm sure you're aware, any combination of anything seems to be have been available at some stage on a TR.

Nice name btw - any particular reason?

Edited by gwr

There are probably very few 6’s still on their original paint by now & black was never a factory option. A few owners undoubtedly had them re-sprayed in their favourite colour by the dealer though. You should be able to tell the original colour from the paint code denoted by 2 number codes on the VIN plate – for instance 07/17 is mine in Damson.

Edited by Richard Crawley
There are probably very few 6’s still on their original paint by now & black was never a factory option. A few owners undoubtedly had them re-sprayed in their favourite colour by the dealer though. You should be able to tell the original colour from the paint code denoted by 2 number codes on the VIN plate – for instance 07/17 is mine in Damson.

Yes funny you should say that. The plate has been replaced during a rebuild in the past and is now stamped, very poorly I may add, with , Paint 11, Trim 33 .

When I bought her, she was supposed to have been rebuilt to a very high standard, :rolleyes: lovely letter headed engineers report and all, but when I got her home, oh dear, classic case of rose tinted glasses. So set too myself for the next year. Can not afford at this point a full rebuild, so engine was rebuilt, usuall body bits done, sills and floor, and engine bay rubed down and painted. During this, evidence found of her being Brown. Still, no rot now, and intend to find the time and money to have a full body off job done in the next couple of years. I think this car is for life, never driven a more enjoyable car. (I have to say that every now and then, stops me crying about the spends)

Edited by Fartypants

Paint code 11 is Black, 33 is New Tan. Neither of which is listed in BP's bible as an option for '75. Looks like the commission plate has been amended to match the paint and trim.

Edited by gwr

Several years ago I visited TRBitz in Warrington and a black 6 roared in, the guys from TRBitz tinkered with it for a while and it roared back out, it's the only black one I've ever seen, on the road or at shows.

My MGB has been black since new, it was quite an unpopular colour when they were new, but there are quite a lot of them about now, I read an article in a classic car mag many years ago that suggested the survival rate of certain colours was due to the phsychology of the type of person that was attracted to a particular car colour, probably not so relevant nowadays with so many cars being resprayed.

Ron

My MGB has been black since new, it was quite an unpopular colour when they were new, but there are quite a lot of them about now, I read an article in a classic car mag many years ago that suggested the survival rate of certain colours was due to the phsychology of the type of person that was attracted to a particular car colour, probably not so relevant nowadays with so many cars being resprayed.

Ron

A friend of mine bought a brand new, black MGB some years ago (rubber bumper model). It lasted around 11 months before his wife totalled it on a dual carriageway near where we lived at the time. By a really strange coincidence, I was only 2 cars behind when it happened so I saw it all, virtually in slow motion. I got out to help & couldn’t believe it was her; she was so shocked & confused, I sat her in my car with the wife & ended up doing all the routine accident scene stuff until the Police arrived. We took her back to ours for tea & sympathy until my friend was able to come & rescue her. The wrecked ‘B’ was taken away on a recovery truck never to be seen again.