Stainless Sports Exhausts

Guest Wayne S

Coming home from Allys funeral down the A64 when my exhaust downpipe decided to part company with my manifold by fracturing down the welds. I ve decided to replace the whole system but am sad to see this particular sports exhaust go as it sounded lovely.

I have seen over the years seen a few slant 4 cars with stainless twin pipe systems. Does anybody know the supplier for these and does anybody have any experience of using / fitting them? What was the gas flow and sound like?

I think it would look great but wouldnt want to fit a system that doesnt breath efficiently. Any feedback or reccomendations would be most welcome.

I am running standard SU HS6's with rich BAL needles and a high lift cam.

Ta. Wayne.

Hi, I just recently aquired a TR7 and I love it. My experience is more with MGB's. But it translates over to here obviously as we are just talking about exhaust. With MG's its highly recommended not to change from the 1 7/8ths diameter pipes as it has the proper back pressure. Its only advised to fit larger 2" pipes when using a supercharger. Id play it safe and at the most buy a functional header. Here in the US our only option looks like the Monza system for our exhaust... You could also just run straight pipes in place of the first muffler as well and just use the rear muffler although im not familiar with MOT and what you can alter on your cars... Here we are exempt for emmissions on 25+ yr old cars in New York. The big kick here is to swap out our Zenith Strombergs in favor of the SU's now that we are allowed to. Except for California which cannot alter their cars. Intresting fact is that the only reason Los Angeles has so much smog is that you have the wind coming in from the ocean and the mountains on the other side of LA. The "smog" gets trapped inbetween till there is strong enough winds to push it over the Rocky Mountains...