Starting Problem

Guest ianwright11

Guest ianwright11

Hi,

Had a great little run out in the sunny Surrey countryside this afternoon and returned home, without any incidents, this evening. Duly parked the car in the garage only to be told a few minutes later by my wife that I was too close to the tumble dryer. Got back in the car to re-position, turned the ignition and nothing, just a slight click and nothing else. No fuel pump or ignition lights just dead. Can this simply be a dead battery? I have never experienced one expiring so rapidly, or is it something else?

Any thoughts or advice would be very gratefully received as usual. I have owned the car for two years and brought it with loads of old receipts. As yet cannot find one for a battery so I have no idea how long this one has been in place.

Regards

Ian Wright

Perhaps removing the battery leads and cleaning the posts and leads can cure the problem.

When corroded, the electric resistence at the battery posts is high and a strong current , needed for cranking the engine, will heat the posts and this will make the resitance very high in a second.

You can test this by turning the driving lights on and start the engine : the lights will go out immediately and (almost )completely.

Hello!

I had a couple of years earlier similar problem. I was waiting to get to the MOT. Suddenly all was dead. The problem was the connections at the starter side. Main current from battery comes via starter terminal to the ign. key. This wire connection was loose. Please check the wire coming from starter terminal!

Martti B)

Guest ianwright11

Hi,

Thanks Marvmul and Martti for responses. Haven't solved problem yet due to other committments. I fancty the starter motor wire as the problem. Will have a play at the week-end.

Thanks guys.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...