LHD conversion

Have seen a TR6 which I am interested in which I suspect has been converted from left to RHD although the current owner says he is not aware of this being the case. The O/D stalk is on the left of steering column and the front indicator lenses are all orange (as oppose to orange&white indicator/side lights on most models i`ve seen), does this mean it has been converted and are there any other ways of obviously telling and does it really matter re price, originality, etc ?

Apologies if this has been asked before but I am new to the registerm,

The first thing to do would be to check the numbers. Commission & or engine would be a good clue.

Did you see the logbook?

Is it a carb or PI car?

Unless the conversion has been done very well indeed, you should also see a patch where the steering column used to come through the bulkhead.

The switch and lenses are much less reliable clues.

A call to the Registrar quoting the Reg Number might also yield some useful info.

I suspect a converted car would have a slightly lower value - but condition is much more important.

Good luck!

The first thing to do would be to check the numbers. Commission & or engine would be a good clue.

Did you see the logbook?

Is it a carb or PI car?

Unless the conversion has been done very well indeed, you should also see a patch where the steering column used to come through the bulkhead.

The switch and lenses are much less reliable clues.

A call to the Registrar quoting the Reg Number might also yield some useful info.

I suspect a converted car would have a slightly lower value - but condition is much more important.

Good luck!

Mthanks for the info, one of the reasons I was confused is that the car is apparently a CP (which is a PI according to performance data) with webber carbs ? Cheers

I think the odds are that it is a UK car - which may have had overdrive added later.

An 'O' at the end of the commission commission number indicates O/D as an original fitment.

Sometimes people fit sidelights into the the headlight units, which may explain the orange lenses.

The Webber conversion is not that uncommon & should be OK if done properly.

Have seen a TR6 which I am interested in which I suspect has been converted from left to RHD although the current owner says he is not aware of this being the case. The O/D stalk is on the left of steering column and the front indicator lenses are all orange (as oppose to orange&white indicator/side lights on most models i`ve seen), does this mean it has been converted and are there any other ways of obviously telling and does it really matter re price, originality, etc ?

Apologies if this has been asked before but I am new to the registerm,

JoCarl

Unless the conversion was something special their should be evidence of the steering column aperture still in the bulkhead on the LH drive position.

There is also the fact that the pedal box is bolted through from the firewall and the brake and clutch holes would also have to have been patched or the complete section would have been plated over.