starts up fine but idle drops and cuts out?!

Hi there, my first post so be gentle. I have just got my 6 back after a year (long story) and it has been started up but not driven much in that time. Now, whenever i start it up, which is fine, unless l give it some gas the idle falls sharply and it cuts out. I have changed the plugs which were pretty black and the problem still persists. Anyone have any ideas what to try next?? Its on triple webers by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Fuel pressure / flow?

Check fuel pump is working as it should (gushing!), check for kinked pipe from pump, crushed steel pipe (jacking damage), bad fuel, corrosion internally in carbs ( :o ) happens plenty in Land Rovers that have been stood-alloy "fur".

Check for air leaks on carb-manifold flexi mounts (use butane gas from lighter filler-if it's leaking the engine will pick up revs suddenly).

Good luck! PS-I think I know someone who would swap a new inection system for your carb set-up! Eh David?

Rob.

Thanks, that list should keep me going! Fuel should be ok, there was only a tiny amount in it and l changed it this morning. Fuel pumps working ok and the fuel lines are fine as it passed mot today (not bad straight out the garage eh?!) so i'll check the other options. This did happen quite suddenly apparently, the car was stored in my dads garage and he said it started doing it last time he started it. I'll keep you updated, thanks again.

Edited by danennis60