Overdrive electrics - J type

Morning all,

Can anyone help me with where the black wire goes from the steering column overdrive switch. I assume earth at some stage, but according to the wiring diagram (very good link found on the Forum - thank you) it goes into a yellow wire which goes into the "transmission interlock switches". My J type overdrive (1969 car but different gearbox/od being used) has the following wiring:

The o/d loom has a yellow/purple wire coming from the solenoid, into the inhibitor switch (there's only one and its on the gearbox top cover), and then out again and ends in a double female blade connector. On the other side of the inhibitor switch, there's a yellow/green wire (female blade connections both ends) and that converts into a bullet connector, which goes into the overdrive switch on the steering column. So, does anyone know where does the yellow/purple (from the solenoid/inhibitor switch) goes, and if nowhere, then what about the black wire from the stalk.

Many thanks in anticipation

Simon.

A 1969 car has originally a A-type o/d : this type has a relay : much more wires are needed.

Th J type has no relay and the wiring is much simpler. The double female connector from the inhibitor switch is superfluous, the black wire from the stalk switch goes to a wire that ends on the inhibitor switch, the other connector on this switch has a wire to the solenoid. In the Haynes manual is a diagram for the J type o/d : the switch is not on the steering column , but on the gear lever : from 1974 on perhaps?

Morning all,

Can anyone help me with where the black wire goes from the steering column overdrive switch. I assume earth at some stage, but according to the wiring diagram (very good link found on the Forum - thank you) it goes into a yellow wire which goes into the "transmission interlock switches". My J type overdrive (1969 car but different gearbox/od being used) has the following wiring:

The o/d loom has a yellow/purple wire coming from the solenoid, into the inhibitor switch (there's only one and its on the gearbox top cover), and then out again and ends in a double female blade connector. On the other side of the inhibitor switch, there's a yellow/green wire (female blade connections both ends) and that converts into a bullet connector, which goes into the overdrive switch on the steering column. So, does anyone know where does the yellow/purple (from the solenoid/inhibitor switch) goes, and if nowhere, then what about the black wire from the stalk.

Many thanks in anticipation

Simon.

If you haven't sorted it Simon then give me a ring, I've recently fitted "J" type overdrive.

Regards

Phil

01625 263989