TRAction 306 - June 2018
It's not every Group that can boast having a Gold Award member amongst their number but we have. No not from the Commonwealth Games held far away in the warmth where they are given out like confetti, but from a true competition - The Lands End Trial. This is where member David Tydeman navigated for Barry Redmayne in a Suzuki X90 to secure one of the very rare Gold Awards. Well done.
The only problem he has now is that on every Club Run David will be in front with a line of TR's behind him all safe in the knowledge that he knows where he is going!
Bob's April Showers Run
Talking of Club Runs Sunday 29th of April saw us taking part in Bob's April Showers Run. Although it was not the brightest of days there was only a misting of rain on the way to the start and another light rain after the event. The route took us through some scenery that changed from woodlands to the open Brecks along roads where it was rare to see a car coming the other way. This took us from Bury St Edmunds via the Fornhams (St Martin and St Genevieve) Laxford, Kentford, Chippenham and Worlington to our lunch destination of The Riverside Hotel in Mildenhall. Suffice to say that they do cater for the hungry traveller! Ten of us enjoyed the day and thanks to Bob for organising this.
Club night in April was the Abbott and Stour Sprint evening where members competed for the fastest time on a Scalextric track. This had been languishing in a friends loft for a considerable length of time when I, foolishly, asked him to bring it over. Three large boxes arrived and a long time was spent playing (testing) it out. The scaled up track gives a circuit of about three quarters of a mile in real terms. The Manger kindly allowed us to set up a smaller track in the restaurant and it was funny to see so many people reliving their childhood. Winner of the gents prize (tool box with tools - the box was cardboard and the tools chocolate) was one of the visiting East Saxon members with A & S member Lindsey taking the ladies prize. Well done when you consider she was probably not even born when the kit was made!
The breakfast club continues with nine of us at The Barn, Haskerton where once again we enjoyed locally sourced food in pleasant surroundings. After a couple of hours chatting we visited the next door farm shop before leaving for home calling in at a local garden centre. Although the weather was not good - the ducks were enjoying a large puddle in the car park, Vince in his 4 and Peter and Corrine Franklin in their immaculate 6 put the rest of us to shame by using their cars.
Mentioning his name, have you seen how busy Vince has been. Have a look at the A&S site on the TR Register web site but Vince would like some help from you.
- For "The Gallery" if you have some good photos of events past or in the future that are 1MB or greater please let Vince have them.
- "Our Cars" section is live, if you would like to be in this please send photos of your car and self to Vince, again 1MB or better.
- "Local Links" is a list of contacts that may be useful to members, if you have any let us know. Please ask the business concerned if it is ok to do so, no guarantees can be given in respect of goods or services but it is helpful to know local suppliers.
Finally, if you are not receiving the monthly Round Robin (it may be appearing in your junk mail as a missive from TR Office) please let me know by phone 01787282176 or letter, 7 Weavers Drive Glemsford nr Sudbury Suffolk CO10 7SL.
As it is now raining and nearly freezing today I will leave you with a list of coming events in the hope that we will soon to get back to a summer.
- 10th June - Euston Park Show
- 12th June - Abbott and Stour concours at The Manger judging starting at 8.30 yes those sought after prizes will be up for grabs again.
- 17th June - Cars on the Green Nowton Park near Bury St Eds,always good with plenty of trees to shade you/keep the rain off,plenty of food and drink stalls and live music.
- 5th July - Cars on the Green Friston(does every green host a show?)
- 7th-8th July - Long Melford Vintage Rally, everything old, country crafts and beautiful setting makes a good family day out.
- 18th July - NEW we have an invite from Lea Valley to their Shine and Show night at The Cock at Broom SG189NA from 5pm to 10pm full details in Round Robin.