Front and rear springs

Hi

I am new to this forum as well as TR6.

I purchased a 1969 TR6 last summer which was 90% dismantled. I am now in the process of restoring and rebuilding it.

At present I am rebuilding the suspension and not having dismantled it am not sure about the springs! original/ uprated......

Q how do you tell the back from the front springs, one set look stronger and slightly bigger in circumference.

I would have presumed the front springs are the slightly beefier ones due to the engine weight. But now having fitted them I'm unsure it is correct. The

Rear ones don't seem to sit very snugly on the swinging arm. Any help to clarify would be much appreciated.

Nick

Front ones are shorter than the rears.

This table might help, but I can't attach it as an excel doc so you might need to sort it out a bit:

Fr/Rr SPRING Free length cm Free length inch lb/in Compressed length

Rear std 29.0 11.8 320 22.0

Front std 23.8 9.7 312 18.5

Rear TT4216 - YY 26.0 10.6 420 21.0

Front TT4102 - PY 21.5 8.8 420 17.0

Rear RTR3101 25.7 10.5 450 22.0

Front RTR3192 24.3 9.4 400

They need a spring insulator at each end and sometimes spacers to get the ride height even.

Jerry

Hmmm. My info doesn't seem quite to agree with Jerry's, unfortunately I can't remember its source Anyway....

Springs standard

Front -

Free length – 10.03 " (261mm)

Wire diameter - 0.5"

Spring rate – 312 lb in

Number of working coils – 5.25

Rear –

Free length – 10.92" (278mm)

Wire diameter - 0.5"

Spring rate – 349 lb in

Number of working coils – 6.75

Ivor

Thanks for the info.

It would seem from the info I don't have them on correctly. Don't think mine can be standard as have more coils aprox 9

Does anyone know if the circumference is larger on front or back or should they be the same?

Nick

Fronts are bigger diameter and if the rear trailing arms are in the down position without the damper links fitted then they will sometimes just fall out ;)

Stuart

Thanks

That's what I thought, mine seem to contradict info around. Larger circumference ones have more coils and seem stronger (front?)

And others slightly smaller circumference and less coils similar in length.

I think I may end up buying new ones to be sure, a bit of a waste of money!

There is a pic of spring I fitted to front on my flicker site.

Nick

Edited by Nick S

It would seem from the info I don't have them on correctly. Don't think mine can be standard as have more coils aprox 9

Standard rear spring on right.

'Working coil' in previous post means one ignores the top & bottom coils which are in contact with the car.

Ivor

new018.jpg

Nick,

When buying new dont pick and mix- buy as a set in which front and rears are matched- good suppliers will know. Dont be tempted to say stiffen the rear without appropriately stiffening the front etc. IMHO standard rate is too soft.

Peter

Nick,

When buying new dont pick and mix- buy as a set in which front and rears are matched- good suppliers will know. Dont be tempted to say stiffen the rear without appropriately stiffening the front etc. IMHO standard rate is too soft.

Peter

Thanks for the advice.

Nick

Standard rear spring on right.

'Working coil' in previous post means one ignores the top & bottom coils which are in contact with the car.

Ivor

new018.jpg

Ivor

Not sure if there was a picture but don't seem to be able to view it.

Nick

Ivor

Not sure if there was a picture but don't seem to be able to view it.

Nick

Yes, a link to Photobucket that appears - or should - as a picture in the forum. And it's repeated where you have 'quoted' my post in your reply.

Can you see members' thumbnails or avatars in the left sidebar of their posts?

Peter has a blower avatar in his footer, Jerry has a left thumbnail as does Stuart, I have a left piston avatar, and I now see that you have a thumbnail.

Something squiffy with your browser settings perhaps, although I'm not savvy enough to suggest what. Which browser/version are you using?

Edit - as you may know, your 69 car should have a one-year-only steering wheel like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190533851807&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the catch is that this wheel needs an extra-long sprung earthing plunger (correct name for this?) which is unobtainum. The seller doesn't mention that he has it.

Ivor

Edited by 88V8

Yes, a link to Photobucket that appears - or should - as a picture in the forum. And it's repeated where you have 'quoted' my post in your reply.

Can you see members' thumbnails or avatars in the left sidebar of their posts?

Peter has a blower avatar in his footer, Jerry has a left thumbnail as does Stuart, I have a left piston avatar, and I now see that you have a thumbnail.

Something squiffy with your browser settings perhaps, although I'm not savvy enough to suggest what. Which browser/version are you using?

Edit - as you may know, your 69 car should have a one-year-only steering wheel like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190533851807&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the catch is that this wheel needs an extra-long sprung earthing plunger (correct name for this?) which is unobtainum. The seller doesn't mention that he has it.

Ivor

Ivor

at home now pictures come up fine, possibly blocked by work.

Thanks nick