Fitting exhaust system

Hi

I've struggled most of the evening trying to fit a Phoenix cross box SS exhaust system to my CR.

There's no way I can manage to fit it togheter without coming too close or even touching the welded on brackets

for the gearbox mount at the chassis right side.

Anyone else experienced this? The rear silencer and the tubes to the manifold seems perfectly OK, but not the single tube between them.

I haven't contacted Moss (where it's purchased) or Phoenix yet for advice, thought I would try here first.

Regards from PIAA

I fitted a Phoenix system with the single pipe through the chassis. I had to jack it and tie it where I wanted, then create some extra mountings to prevent it hitting the chassis, but mine was hitting at the back, not at the gearbox mounting.

Before that I had one of their twin systems, the right side pipe was OK, the left side was crooked.

Perhaps their pipe bending may be a bit too variable - there is a high demand for their product, maybe corners are cut? Just my thought.

I think you have to go back to Moss and ask them to send you another pipe from another batch. Not so easy when you are in Norway...

Ivor

Thanks Ivor

I've got a scilled car mechanic to look at it and he claims it not possible to fit it properly as the bends on the pipes goes now.

Got in contact with the technical department at Moss today (immediate respons) and have sent some pictures and descriptons to them.

I'll update with info from Moss later on.

I've also removed a twin box system with unkown origin (maybe from Rimmers) due to low ground clearance (at least for Norwegian roads) and poor fitting.

Must say I'm a bit disappointed as I expected the new kit to adapt easily as beeing higly recommended for good manufactoring quality.

PIAA

Evening gents

My two pipes from the manifold back were fitted wrong way round ie left on the rightand right on the left, previous owner had then hacked off the gearbox mounting bracket cos the tags on the exhuast didnt fit correctly and it hit the chassis. Worth making sure thease two pipes are right way round they do look the same at first glance.

Patch

Hi

I've struggled most of the evening trying to fit a Phoenix cross box SS exhaust system to my CR.

There's no way I can manage to fit it togheter without coming too close or even touching the welded on brackets

for the gearbox mount at the chassis right side.

Anyone else experienced this? The rear silencer and the tubes to the manifold seems perfectly OK, but not the single tube between them.

I haven't contacted Moss (where it's purchased) or Phoenix yet for advice, thought I would try here first.

Regards from PIAA

Bugger just ordered the exact same kit.

Watching with interest :)

Hi

The end of the story (so far) to get the Cross Box Kit fitted was to cut the 'T-Piece' that joins the two pipes from the manifold to the single tube open and bend it approx 22.5 degrees to the right. Then weld it back togheter. I also put a short flexpipe between the 'T-piece' and the single tube to make it a bit more flexible for vibrations as I had to cut the single pipe as well. In addition to that a new bracket attached under the gearbox mount for support.

After those operations the set fits very nice in.

Not exactly what I expected when buying a exhaust system with a cost of around 450£ delivered here in Norway, but too much effort to return and no patience to wait to get things sortet.

I got very quick respons from Moss who confirmed that the parts ordered were the right numbers specified for the car even though I had removed all the labels attached to the pipes with glue from hell.

I asked Moss if they had discussed the problem with Phoenix, Moss confirmed but say they havn't got any reply.

I'm sure Moss would not have made any problems if returning the kit or trying to find parts more suitable.

PIAA

Not exactly what I expected when buying a exhaust system with a cost of around 450£ delivered here in Norway, but too much effort to return and no patience to wait to get things sortet.

Hi Per,

I have to say that I agree with you, in fact I think it is a disgrace. This is supposed to be a jig manufactured 'quality product' and as such, should fit straight from the box. If I were you, I would write directly to Phoenix and complain with a link to your photographs.

By the way, I think I could kill for a pit like yours :D

• 8 months later...

Hi Rorr

Sorry to say there where no more replys from Moss or Phoenix regarding this matter. Moss claimed they were coming back to me after they've been in contact with Phoenix but it did not happen.

If I've been a UK resident I would for sure returned the set but too much freight cost from Norway and waiting time etc. so had to solve it otherwise.

I'll have to take it off again during winter to weld and adjust the flex pipe properly, I also find the rear silencer a bit lower on one side which would look nicer if straight. Probably have to modify the bracket on the right side. So this was quite opposite of a fit and forget system, more like an intensive course in learning new and exotic swearwords.....

PIAA

While Moss have an important part to play in preserving the cars, is it not more economical and easier to sort problems by buying direct. In this case from Phoenix. Ive done this with both my TRs and am lucky enough to be able to pop up to their factory in Cullompton. Just an aside to the matter, but there we are.

David.

Hi David.

I tried to get one directly from Phoenix but at the time they were out of stock and delivery time would be 4- 6 weeks.

MOSS had the unit in stock and there wasn't a really great difference pricewise.

PIAA