todays tire size that fits well on tr6

Guest osrocket

205/65 will match the old 165 tyre size in circumference. Since years my TR6 is fitted with 195/65 which are about 1 inch less. On European cars the tyres used to be 165 on U.S. cars 185. Dunlop and Michelins on Euro cars had an aspect ratio of 80.

I would not go above 205/65 as this size is matching well with the side aspect of the car. Depending on the tyre construction and camber setting larger tyres might produce chaffing on the rear wing :(

Jean

If you have standard 5 ½ J rims then the most you should got to is a 185 section tyre. These are generally available at 65% aspect ratio but this is somewhat smaller in diameter than the original tyre & so does not fill the arches so well. A 185 x 70% aspect ratio tyre is almost identical to the original 165 x 75% (??) aspect ration (an original Pirelli tyre on my car measured around 635mm dia.) but this size can be difficult to source &, as they are not amongst today’s “popular” tyre size, are quite expensive! The nearest match I could find, & I think the best compromise, is to fit a 6J rim with a 195 x 65% aspect ratio tyre. But remember, widest is not necessarily best on a road car & a 205 section tyre is excessively (& unsafely) wide for standard 5 1/2 J rims. The suspension was never designed to cope with the forces these tyres inflict + the steering will become very heavy a low speed; Personally, I think tyres of this width look rather silly on a classic TR road car! But if it’s customised & you’ve done all the mods, that’s another story – go for 18 inch wheels with low rubber to match!
As a point of information I fitted 185/70  Vredestein Sprint ST70 with innner tubes all round last year on wires and have no complaints except the cost which I suppose  is expected: £470 including tubes, tapes and balancing. :D
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm about to renew my tyres, and have ran 15000 miles on 'Goodyear Fulda's 185x70 on 5.5j's wires centre laced. I bought these from Micheldever Tyres, who also have the correct adpators for balancing wire wheels. No real complaints, but these tyes are not brilliant in the wet. The cost was about £59 per tyre with tubes etc. So good price etc,. What are the Vredestein tyres like ? and where did you get them from ? As I might consider a change.  Thanks in advance.