The autobahn and misfiring

Just picked up my new TR5 in Norway and it ran great on the autobahn on the way home although due to traffic I only got up to 110mph! When it's hot it runs great but it only starts on 4 or 5 cylinders and doesn't run smoothly until the temperature gauge is in the middle. Is this a common problem on TR5s that someone can give me a miracle cure for or do I have to start methodically fault finding? A bit of fault finding wouldn't do any harm as it would let me get to know the car but I would like it to run well for it's imminent MOT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart

Hi Staurt

Its quiet common for an injected car to fluff a couple of cylinders on start up but it should generally clear within 20 seconds or so. No miracle cures I’m afraid & if it’s not clearing until warm, it’s probably due to a duff injector or 2; but if it’s hitting 110 with more to go it doesn’t sound like there’s much wrong with it!

Have a read through the archive posts, lots of info & tips on fault finding the injection system (possibly more so in the TR6 forum) & links to a couple of technical manuals you can download. Don’t whatever you do start fiddling with the metering unit until you really understand the system & are confident you know what your doing; Sunday afternoon mechanics were (& possibly still are!) responsible for the bad name the Lucas PI system got when it was first introduced.

Hi Stuart

Can only echo Richards comments, Mine is exactly the same although as Richard says 20 seconds or so and all the cylinders join in together. If the car has been left for a little while fuel can drop back and be replaced with a bit of air. Check your spark plugs are ok and the leads are satifactory. Next step check the injectors are functioning ok (there is a lot of previouse on this already on the forum if you use the search ) before considering altering the metering unit etc.

All the best.

Thanks for the information gents. I'm loath to touch anything as the car runs so well once it's up to temperature. I suppose it must be some tolerance changing somewhere when it warms up. I can't see it being ignition since ignition problems usually show up at higher revs so it sounds like the injectors could be to blame but I need to find out a lot more about the system before I start messing with them.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
Just picked up my new TR5 in Norway and it ran great on the autobahn on the way home although due to traffic I only got up to 110mph! When it's hot it runs great but it only starts on 4 or 5 cylinders and doesn't run smoothly until the temperature gauge is in the middle. Is this a common problem on TR5s that someone can give me a miracle cure for or do I have to start methodically fault finding? A bit of fault finding wouldn't do any harm as it would let me get to know the car but I would like it to run well for it's imminent MOT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart