Am I missing something?

Am I missing something here?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

This DHC don't look so bad to me - why is not at the normally uber-inflated 'classic' price? I was recently invited to view a complete dog of a FHC (rust on every panel, **** colour etc etc) at a well respected dealer who wanted £1750 for it! What makes this so cheap? ...no good to me as I want a FHC but it caught my eye so just wondered.

While I'm at it - those rims, are they steels with the standard covers cut down so chrome trim-rings can be used or did Triumph/BL sell covers with chromed outer rims? They look pretty good IMO!

Edited by Mad Zero

I would say price is about right

No front spoiler and carpets could do with being replaced Also no engine photo and I wonder what the few little jobs are that need doing.

As for the wheels I think it is standard steel wheels with chrome ring trims.

Edited by stevie-a

No front spoiler and carpets could do with being replaced Also no engine photo and I wonder what the few little jobs are that need doing.

The car actually looks pretty tidy, no signs of tin worm on the panels and what appears to be a very good respray, although every picture can tell a different story. Yes its in need of carpets and a front bib spoiler but does look like a very usable classic for reasonable money. A quick email or phone call (numbers provided) would find out what else needs doing but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. You could always ask for extra pictures should you wish to pursue it. Best advice for anyone interested in it would be to go and see it and not rely on ebay pictures or descriptions.

Gary :rolleyes:

I agree the price sounds about right in the real world but with everybody cashing-in on the 'classic' scene I was suprised it hadn't been elevated - good buy for somebody then eh! Just out of interest I emailled the vendor about rust and the few little jobs - he said...

hi theres not realy any rot on the body.the fuel guage is not working and a noisy thrust bearing

The wheels can't simpy be steels with chrome trim-rings on because you can see the black centre 'hub' part of the plastic covers - must either be chrome version of original covers (if such things exist) or ones that've been cut down to allow for the trim-rings ...or a type of cover I don't know about.

Edited by Mad Zero
I agree the price sounds about right in the real world but with everybody cashing-in on the 'classic' scene I was suprised it hadn't been elevated - good buy for somebody then eh! Just out of interest I emailled the vendor about rust and the few little jobs - he said...

hi theres not realy any rot on the body.the fuel guage is not working and a noisy thrust bearing

The wheels can't simpy be steels with chrome trim-rings on because you can see the black centre 'hub' part of the plastic covers - must either be chrome version of original covers (if such things exist) or ones that've been cut down to allow for the trim-rings ...or a type of cover I don't know about.

The very early steel wheels actually only had black plastic centre caps that look very similar to those in the picture, the rings could certainly just be a later add-on as suggested by Stevie-A.

The very early steel wheels actually only had black plastic centre caps that look very similar to those in the picture, the rings could certainly just be a later add-on as suggested by Stevie-A.

Yeah I'm familiar with the trim-rings I got some from Halfords for my Mk1 Granada years ago (can theystill be bought in the UK I wonder?) - thanks for clearing up the centre hub bit though, so the black centres were a seperate moulding then. I didn't realise.

Okay then, another option I can consider - paint the wheels black, fit the black centre hubs then fit trim-rings. Or I could paint the factory alloys black and polish the outer rim and highlights I suppose? Hmmm...

This car does look attractive, I spotted too, if it is in as good condition as it appears, and the vendor claims, it is what I would call realistically priced. The "noisy thrust bearing" though, might well be worn taper bearings on the LT77 gearbox input shaft. Not an especially immediate problem, could require gearbox replacement eventually.

Ray