Any advice on insurance or the best company to do business with would be gratefully received The policy I currently have on my 6 limits the mileage and does not cover me to use the car for work although they gave me agreed value with no trouble. God knows what will happen when I tell them I'm taking the car to Le Mans in June.

Tinman

I can recommend Peter S Taylor who advertise in TR Action

My 4 costs me £87 with a 3,000 mile limit, but they will tailor (excuse the pun) the policy to what you want.

Regards

Peter

Edited by dykins

Hi Tinman, I think you'll find all Classic Car type policies are rather limited, and you usually need to have another vehicle as your day to day transport? CC policies don't usually attract NCD either.

Edited by jonlar
Any advice on insurance or the best company to do business with would be gratefully received The policy I currently have on my 6 limits the mileage and does not cover me to use the car for work although they gave me agreed value with no trouble. God knows what will happen when I tell them I'm taking the car to Le Mans in June.

Hi Tinman

I am insured with Towergate, which is the TR Registers scheme. It costs about £200.00 a year, but this covers me, my wife and 2 x teenage kids (19 - including 1 previous claim 12 months ago - and 17!) - although I have to be with the kids when they drive it (but I wouldn't let them out in it alone anyway!). It also covers me and my wife for 'use in connection with his/her business or profession'. I have a mileage limit of 2000 miles at the moment, but they would increase this for not much extra. It has an agreed value and you can also have reinstatement option on it. Cover is comprehensive with cover abroad. Breakdown Assistance UK and abroad etc . . . etc. It is more expensive than some, but no one else would even look at covering a 17 and 19 year old especially with 1 previous claim (which increased the premium slightly!

Previously I was with Peter Best and they were very good (£96.00 for basically the same cover, but not for use with work), but like I said wouldn't cover the kids!

Rog

HI Peeps,

My policy is with Footman James,I have both my cars on one policy for £110, my everyday 1971 rover p6 v8 and a 1970 tr6, both with agreed value,@£3.5k and £9k,fully comp,european driving,breakdown cover,unlimited miles, social,domestic,pleasure, which includes to and from work,dont need to be garaged overnight, also covered while attending shows,rallies, but not for rallying,or if on an active airfield site.and my brother as a named driver. individually I was quoted £95 and £150 ish,they did not mention the joint or multi car policy!!

"my thanks to a fellow member for pointing that out! :D

I can also add another car at its due date for an extra £10-£15ish. I havent had to test their claim proceedure,I hope I never have to!!

Also a club discount is available.

Edited by PILKIE

I'm also with the TR Register Scheme paying about £150 which gives me 2 named drivers (although it's only me driving it!), breakdown cover and 2000 miles a year (which can be increased if necessary). The scheme also gives the option of paying an extra £25 or £50 premium which means the policy will pay out up to 125% or 150% of the guaranteed value if the car needs a complete rebuild.

Alpha.

I'm with Towergate and have an agreed value of £20k with reinstatement option i.e. 125% of agreed value for rebuild. Included is homestart, national vehicle recovery, journey continuation, continental cover and legal assistance, mileage limit 5,000. Premium £138 inc IPT

Wyn

I'm with Footman James - £158, 1974 TR6 PI no restrictions on where it's driven (apart from track days/competative rallys), unlimited mileage, agreed value, european breakdown cover. I had a claim with them in 2005 and they were a paragon of efficiency when it came to sort it all out. Looks a bit more expensive than some of the others mentioned here, but I feel it's still good value for money.

Regards,

Michael.

• 8 months later...

Bonjour all, just joined this forum as I've bought a 1973 (yeah, wanted tax exempt but it's such a nice car) Ex-US French Blue TR6 with twin carbs from Chris at TRGB.

Bristling with questions but the main one has to be has anyone got any contact details for the above insurers ? Adrian Flux is no problem but some of the others may be. Picking the car up tail end of next week... :-D

Mart.

Mart,

I use Towergate, who are listed under the suppliers section on the TR Register home page.

I have found them to be extremely helpful, especially when dealing with my claim after being broadsided.

I can also vouch for the european recovery service included in the policy after promptly being rescued

having incurred 3 punctures on the way down to Le Mans earlier this year.

cheers

Andy

Hi all,

I finally stayed with adrian Flux as they offered me a great deal, having fessed up to all the modifications made to my TR6. Sports exhaust, gas flowed head, rally cam, up rated rear suspension Alloy wheels, K&N filters and leather seats etc.

They matched the basic quote I'd been given by Footman and James and did not increase it much when I told them of the mods.

As for the european break down cover I can't fault them as my car had a wheel bearing let go on the way back from Le Mans They transported the car home within a week and without so much a dirty mark on it.

Ive no complaints on service or cost with Adrain Flux just don't except the first quote tell them you have had a better quote else where.

Bonjour all, just joined this forum as I've bought a 1973 (yeah, wanted tax exempt but it's such a nice car) Ex-US French Blue TR6 with twin carbs from Chris at TRGB.

Bristling with questions but the main one has to be has anyone got any contact details for the above insurers ? Adrian Flux is no problem but some of the others may be. Picking the car up tail end of next week... :-D

Mart.

Hi Mart hope your new car meets all your expectations i know mine did (ex us71) but now injected any help i can give please ring me 01844 208508 (near thame) why not give rosy pugh a ring shes the secretary of the chiltern tr group 01865 891078 we meet in the coach &horses at chislehampton be nice to see you there Regards Bob

Hi Mart hope your new car meets all your expectations i know mine did (ex us71) but now injected any help i can give please ring me 01844 208508 (near thame) why not give rosy pugh a ring shes the secretary of the chiltern tr group 01865 891078 we meet in the coach &horses at chislehampton be nice to see you there Regards Bob

I look forward to meeting up with you guys but unfortunately not then as I don't get the car until the day after ! Can't wait to start learning about the car !

post-5415-1195153975_thumb.jpg

I will also report back on my insurance findings, I'm tempted to see if I can get a two-car policy as my other steed is a modified 1993 Mazda RX-7 Type R2 that I take to the Nurburgring every July.

Mart.

post-5415-1195153991_thumb.jpg

post-5415-1195153975_thumb.jpg

post-5415-1195153991_thumb.jpg

OK, so surprise surprise, Chris at TRGB called me today and the car is ready, well before I expected it to be, excellent !

I called Sue at Towergate whilst I was walking the dog, and not much after that I had a comprehensive policy, unlimited mileage for a 35 year old living in Milton Keynes, car doesn't have to be garaged for the policy, all the usual Homestart breakdown and foreign cover, £261. Not bad, quite a bit more than some of you are paying but it is unlimited (The 6 will be my daily drive, when I have to drive anywhere that is).

Mailed Peter S Taylor, they came back with £105 w/o breakdown for limited miles of 3000.

Didn't get a chance to call Adrian Flux or Footman James as I was in a rush to go and collect the car.

I left TRGB in the car as the sun was going down, wrapped in scarf and hat with the roof down, and drove the hour home. I'm impressed I've had the reservation to only empty half a tank of petrol so far :-D

Mart

How do you get away with that small number plate on the Mazda?

Wyn

Luck and an easy throttle pedal whenever I spot the plod !

On the way to Germany though I have to pay most of the petrol stations 'up front' as their cameras can't read the plate.

Used to have one of the same size on my GT-Four too. I always carry a regular sized one in the boot for the 'I've just been to a show and forgot to change it' quote.

Mart.