Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a new (alu) fuel tank for my >60001 TR3A. I've coated the inside of the tank two years ago. But I'm not happy with the result. Hence my search for a new tank. I've found an address over here in the Netherlands for a bespoke tank. But... I'm confused about the position of the fuel outlet (where the fuel line connects).I can clearly (?) remember that the outlet is situated on the left hand side of the tank and that the drain plug is on the right hand side of the tank (all viewing from behind the car).

Now for the confusing part: the Moss catalog (page 106) says: '303999AL Fuel Tank aluminium TR3A from TS60001, outlet at bottom right'.

And it gets more complicated: the Moss USA branch also has fuel tanks for sale. I found on their internet site: '849-110, gas tank TR3A after TS 60001, outlet left hand side'

You see what I mean? Am I wrong, or is the Moss catalog wrong? Who can help? I'm sure that someone has a >60001 fuel tank somewhere and is willing to have a look.

Regards,

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

Menno,

owning a pre 60K- TR3A I can't really help - here the outlet is in the middle.

BUT: The drain plug is at the right side (passenger side - LHD-car), or on the same side as the carburettors are.

The fuel piping in the frane is routed on the left side of the frame, the side were the fuel pump sits on the engine.

Logically thinking the fuel tap should be on this side - the left side.

By this, a shortening of the fuel pipe would be the reason for the changed position of the tap. At least for me, this would make sense. And several changes at 60k make sense from the point of view "cost", "easier production" etc.

Regards, Johannes

Menno - If the body panels are still in good shape on your TR, take a look where the hole is in the area under the tank. Or look at the bottom of you present tank. I seem to remember that it's on the driver's side in a Left Hand Drive car such as for N.A. or Europe.

Johannes, Don,

Thank you for your reply! Most helpful. Reading the Moss cat. gave me a lot of doubt. Having seen the pic. of the tank in the green car, I now know for certain that the outlet is on the left hand side! When you come to think about it, I think that Johannes is right about cost savings at Standard Triumph in the '50s and '60s.

So, tomorrow I will order a brand new aluminium fuel tank, with the outlet on the left hand side.

I'll keep you all posted.

Menno

When I removed the tank from my 1960 TR3 I noticed outlets on both sides. The right hand side was plugged up and the fuel pipe was connected on the left side with the vent tube on the right side as on Don's car. As the cap is vented I plugged up the original vent outlet. There should also be 2 large holes in the chassis frame at the height of the tank outlets.