Sheared bolts - expensive?

Bugger

Knew I shouldn't have touched or tried to change the calipers.

Can anyone out there let me know what size bolts attach the front calipers?

I am going to try and drill out and retap the threads - mainly because I have just discovered the price of 2 new stub axel strut legs :(

Is it worth trying to buy a 2nd hand pair? and if so how much should I expect to pay?

Bryan

Cheers Beans,

All I need to do now is drill out and retap the sheared bolts

That left hand tube is dead pricey, why is it 5 times the price of the right one? :angry:

Bryan

All I need to do now is drill out and retap the sheared boltsBryan

Hi Bryan, get some Plusgas (not WD40) and soak the broken stumps over a couple of days, to give it a chance to get into the threads, then centre punch as close as you can to the centre and using a really good quality set of twist drills set to work, use a small one to start with, I'd suggest a 4mm, once you've a hole through the middle, go with a 5, 6 etc., by the time you're getting near to an 8 or if you're really actually central a 9, the heat generated by drilling may enable you to release the stud stump with a good quality extra type tap/drill.

Good thinking,

What I'll do is build up a well of putty over the stumps and fill it up and walk away for a few days topping up as need be hopefully it will not mean having to shell out for new tubes - good excuse to change the shocks as well as I managed to get hold of some konis on ebay.

Bryan

Sorry about that,

I hope they are as good as the ad says with just 400 miles on them :rolleyes:

If not they will be back on ebay again :P

Still

Missed out on a metal double bubble bonnet the other day as I forgot to set my reminder to bid, (I never bid before the end unless I know I am not around othewise the price goes far higher than it needs too), looking at TR7 bits and the bidding on ebay it looks like most of you folks do exactly the same thing. :P

Bryan

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm nearly there!!

Trying to get the stub axle off and the balljoint seems seazed into it!!! :angry:

All nuts off from link arm etc. but cannot get the stub axle off of the lower arm with the ball joint in it. I have smacked 7 kinds of sh1t out of the joint but cannot get it to move. My next thought is to try and press out the ball joint fron the lower arm and take the whole lot to a vice and try it that way. :angry:

However, am I doing it wrong? all the books seem to say that once the castillated nut and split pin are off the stub axle come straight off the ball joint and lower arm. Knew I shouldn't have touched those calipers!! :blink:

Help!!

Bryan B)

Hi Bryan, if you can get hold of a "scissors" type ball joint cracker it should come apart quite easily but with a bang! This is the type with a fork casting which gets hammered between the ball joint and the wishbone and the bolt which turns through the the other casting levers the taper apart, a version is shown at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sykes-Pickavant-17mm...1QQcmdZViewItem

if used with some care the boot on the ball joint doesn't even get damaged. I've got one of the forked wedges (which is next to useless) and one of the scissors type which saves so much time and frustration when popping joints.

Yeeharr,

Got the stub Axel off!! - Big hammer and lots of swearing.

Now how the hell do you get the ball joint out of the lower link!!

Bryan :unsure::unsure:

Yeeharr,

Got the stub Axel off!! - Big hammer and lots of swearing.

Now how the hell do you get the ball joint out of the lower link!!

Bryan :unsure::unsure:

Been there, done this a few times now.

You need a 10 ton press to get the ball joint out unless you drill and cut it out by hand, you will still need to press the new one in though as the hole in the arm is tapered.

Ask a garage to do it if you cant get access to a press, you can't do it without one, I know because I have tried and got myself a press in the end from Ebay.

Dave ;)

Ahh!

Thanks Dave,

That'll explain why the big run up and smack with a big hammer didn't work. :P

Looks like a trip to the garage then unless a cheap press turns up on ebay. Just had a look - over £200, cheaper to buy two recon lower track arms with poly bushes & ball joints from Rimmers. :D

Bryan B)

Edited by guzzitrike

Thought I'd add this addendum to the thread.

After 6 days of feeding Plus Gas (magic stuff) to the sheared off bolts on a regular basis I have managed to get them out and there appears no damage to the stub axel. so that has saved me £125 which I will probably now put towards the poly bushes I have been promising myself. :)

Lesson to be learned here? before tackling any bolts on a 25 year old car soak them in plus gas for at least 3 days that way you will save yourself 30 days worth of agro (you will know what I mean if you see what day this thread started).

Thanks for all the advice guys - I'm sure I will be back for more soon!!

Bryan B)

• 2 weeks later...

Struts in, seized nuts (ooh eer misses) chucked new seals and bushes and those nice new swively strut bearings to make it seem that I have power steering.

Thought I would add this little gem. It maybe that you all already know this, but I had to find out the hard way and thought I could save others the same problem.

To take off or refit the suspension strut all you need to do is use the existing scissor jack, place it between the sub frame and the lower track arm/ball joint. Wind it up and in it drops, saves all that grunting and cursing trying to get the anti roll bar to move.

hope that helps anyone out there. certainly would have me.

Bryan B)