Am I crazy for even considering these carbs & manifold? They are from a 61-63 Buick 215 so they should fit the engine on my TR8 without any major problems. They are dual Rochesters (stock setup on a few GM engines).

I don't have the exact dimensions yet, but I am sure that either the trumpets would have to come off, or I would have to modify the hood. I don't like the idea of body modifications, but I really like the look of these carbs. Right now he is asking more than I want to spend ($450 US plus they will need to be rebuilt), but I think there is a good chance he will negotiate on the price.

Should I try something a little exotic or go for the standard holley 390cfm 4bbl?

Rob

post-4162-1170284122_thumb.jpg

post-4162-1170284122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob S

Hi Alec,

My car will never see a race track (I know - never say never). It is just for fun.

I just think those dual carbs are a little exotic or even eccentric (isn't that why we are TR7/8 enthusiests).

I know the holley will give at least as good of performance and will be easier to work with, but I am not sure which will be more "fun".

Rob

Rob, if your definition of fun is spending countless weekends and nights trying to set the carbs up properly then more of the same trying to keep the engine in tune and adjusting plug heat ranges etc etc, plus the bonus of the occasional unplanned roadside stop (of course this will only happen when its raining) then go ahead and fit the rochesters.

Alec is right about the Holley, though they are more a metered leak than a carbie they do a great job and i have one on my 8 currently and have used them for many years, on the rare occasions when they do play up the fault finding is relatively easy.

For me the fun bit is driving the car the way it was designed rather than fixing the car.

Several years ago i came across an article comparing tuning actions on the Buick V8. I am sure that ditching the original carbs gave an instant performance increase. I still have a copy of the article somewhere but I probably wont get round to finding it. The original buick spec had less performance than the European (SU) spec. If these are original Buick parts they will be expensive as they are rare but also restrictive.

That said, they do look different, and nice, and in a light TR the performance should stil be interesting even if its only 125HP.

OK. I am convinced. I am back on the 4bbl bandwagon.

The old manifold and carbs are now out of the car, and I have the new (used) manifold sitting in place.

Now I have to wait for my ordered parts to come in (amazing that the local parts stores do not carry TR8 / Rover V8 prarts).

Rob