TR8 Trans Lubricant

First post for a new TR8 owner.

I have 1980 TR8 with a 5 speed.

I have seen a couple different suggestions on what kind of lubricant I should use for the transmission, and I hope to see what other owners are using.

Any other suggestions on changing the transmission lubricant?

Part 2. To upgrade the carbs would you go to holly / edelbrock 4 bbl or twin SUs? If SUs, which models work best?

Rob

Rob, stick with whats in the manual for the gearbox fluid.

I have run both carb options i have found the holley 4barrel with edelbrock manifold works best, make sure that you get someone who knows what they are doing to set it up.

For best results go for vacuum secondaries unless it is an out and out race engine.

Best of luck

Rob, I have one Leyland manual advises 80 grade oil for the gear box, & another Leyland manual says ATF.

They changed their recommendation when they found second gear could not be selected, when the box was cold.

I am on my fourth 7, & also have an 8. I have had only one box which worked with 80, & that was a very worn unit.

I have used ATF in my 7 for 40,000 Km, [25,000 miles], & 25,000 Km, in the 8, both with out any problems.

I have heard a new synthetic gear box oil, which is successful in these boxes, but know nothing about it.

Rob

My 64000 mile TR7 (V8 for the last 10000) is still on it's original gearbox, has been run on ATF from new without problems. I find 2nd gear is a bit reluctant from cold, and synchro on 3rd is getting a tiny bit weak, but the 2nd gear problem is a characteristic, and 3rd will probably soldier on like that for another squillion miles!

Mike