Hello All, and a Happy New Year.

Can anyone out there point me in the direction of a TR3/3A wiring diagram? I have the TR2 diagram from the workshop manual which is duplicated in other publications I have, but as I am fitting a TR3A loom an appropriate diagram would be most useful, especially as I am a complete putz when it comes to electrickery.

Thnak you in advance for any useful suggestions.

Regards

Trevor.

Hello and a happy New Year!

Trevor,

There are several websites with diagrams. But I think that Advance Auto Wire has a good one. Just click 'stock schematics'.

Be careful to pick the right one: just scroll to the right diagram.

I went to a local copy shop and had the diagram printed out in A4 format and a very large (A2) format. The guy at the shop sealed both with plastic sheet for me, at virtually no costs (Well, the owner is a former student of mine). Now I have the small diagram in my car and the large one is hanging on the garage wall.

BTW: their site is full of very useful info!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

A word of warning concerning the TR3A diagram. It is difficult to find one of these as most manuals (including the factory manual) only have the TR2 diagram.

Some of the more recently produced diagrams and looms that I have seen have errors in them. The circuits will work ok but some of the colours and wiring routes are not exactly as original. If you were looking for originality you would do well to compare with an original loom.

I'm very disappointed in all of you, not giving credit to the one who created the diagram and in color no less. Dan Masters created the new color diagrams and has been very gracious in letting the public have them. Thanks Dan!

I agree, but I think your pointed remarks are misplaced. I have searched the website above but can find no acknowledgement/credit given to Dan Masters, unless I've missed it – so how do you expect Forum members to know who created the diagrams?

Maybe you should contact them?

Happy New Year

Andrew

Hi Trevor,

When rewiring my 1960 TR3A I had much the same problem particularly as I wanted to change to negative earth and use an alternator. I managed to find 3 separate diagrams that had all the bits I needed and combined them all into a full colour diagram which made the job so much easier. It may not be of any use to you but I have attached it anyway just in case.

Regards

Pete

TR_wiring.doc

TR_wiring.doc

I can only reiterate what Andrew has said, who is Dan Masters? I have never seen his name acknowledged (up to now) anywhere. I will now say thanks as I used a print for the wiring on TS952.

Regards to all - Nigel

I can only reiterate what Andrew has said, who is Dan Masters? I have never seen his name acknowledged (up to now) anywhere. I will now say thanks as I used a print for the wiring on TS952.

Regards to all - Nigel

There are quite a few references to Dan on this forum

e.g. this one

There are also some postings by him and his son Michael.

Thanks for that Brian, the problem is that I tend not to look at the TR6 forum. It almost wants a posting listing the 'unsung people' that make life easier for us that use their time and effort to keep our TR's on the road.

Nigel

Trevor,

I have a number of original Lucas, single A4 sheet size, wiring diagram's and amoungst the Triumph's are two for the early TR's.

20TS, dated September 1953 - this is the same as the one in the TR2 Workshop Manual.

TR3, dated June 1956 - this is set out in a different format on the page, i.e. the components have been moved and the wires have lettered identification for the colours, but overall looks very much the same as for the TR2 .

If you think they would be of use, let me know and I can send you a scanned copy.

Regards, Richard ;)

Just a quick note to thank all the above respondents for their help & advice, particularly Menno, Pete and Richard.

Pete, I downloaded your diagram which will be of great help as I am also doing a negative earth conversion, although not an alternator conversion. An alternator may follow however when funds allow so it will be useful in that event also. You have obviously put a lot of work into the diagram so thank you for sharing it with me.

Needless to say if any of the diagrams referred to originate in whole or in part from Dan Masters then of course he has my grateful thanks too.

Cheers All

Trevor. :rolleyes:

If you would read TR Action you would probably know Dan Masters. A presentation of his exellent Electric Repair Manual for TR250/6 was featured in the magazine. This is by far the best and most usefull book I have seen in the more than 40 years of driving Trs. Unfortunately the Register is still not offering the book in the regalia :(:(

A real shame as it not only shows TR250/6 electric systems, but it gives a good overview and understanding of instruments, relays, switches and electric circuits in general.