Diff mounting pin

One of the diff mount pins (nsr) has clean dropped out of my chassis. This on a chassis which was strengthened (admittedly 10 years ago). I note however that all the pins are only welded at the top. Is there any reason why they shouldn't get a bead of weld around where they pass through the lower chassis plate to prevent them flexing? I appreciate that when tightened up the mounting would be compressed but I can't think of a good reason for leaving them 'floating'. Any views chaps?

Jerry

I must admit that I also welded my diff pins top & bottom but I believe I can throw some light on why one end is left floating. For many years I was extensively involved with heavy conveyor roller design & we found that if welded both ends they would eventually fracture or even shear due to internal stresses set up during both welding & operation. After a lot of R&D, the construction method we ultimately specified involved welding the through shaft one end only & using a radial, keyed clamp at the other. This gave precise location but allowed the shaft to move axially inside the drum, relieving the internal stresses; we found this method of construction would usually outlast the design life of the conveyor. Although the diff pin is much smaller (so less expansion) & it’s not subject to rotational stresses, it sounds like it may be linked to similar thinking; but it clearly didn’t work!

Edited by Richard CRawley