Colway Tyres

Guest caine62

Guest caine62

Thanks to all for your advice on what tyres to fit to my TR6.

In the end I opted for Colway Road Plus tyres in 185/70 15 and by chance the only Colway supplier in the South East is in Norwich where my lil' brother is at uni. Two tickets to a punk concert and a phone call to order the tyres and we were on!

The car is transformed, it's gone from feeling very heavy and brutish to light and nimble. Tremendous grip round corners and very little road-noise.

I can't recommend these tyres enough!

Also, SCA Motorsport in Norfolk were great. They made sure that everything was perfect and checked over the car, successfully investigating an oil leak (overfilled gearbox) and rattle (exhaust loose). Great service!

Moving from oversized tyres to skinny, sticky ones has made the car 100x more enjoyable to drive. It's easily the best money I've spent on the car!

Smeggie,

I cannot remember the speed rating on them but they are appropriate for a TR.

My 3a isn't here for me to have a look at. I seem to remember that they are H rated but best to check.

You should be paying somewhere around £50 to £60 for each tyre, plus fitting.

You could try Revington TR (01823 698437) and see if you can order some to be delivered to you direct for fitting wherever you wish.

My memory may be failing me but I think that Neil Revington was involved in the development of the rubber compound used in these tyres.

Good luck.

David

Guest caine62
Hi

Sounds great, hope you dont mind but, how much were they and are they H rated or above, I will need 2 shortly and really strugged to get a pair last week for the rear next week.

cheers

Smeggie

I paid c.£52 per tyre including fitting and balancing. I don't know how near Norwich you are but SCA are definitely worth a look. Don't know the speed rating, but I never push the car above 90mph. Way too scary above that!

Eli

Smeggie,

You could try Revington TR (01823 698437) and see if you can order some to be delivered to you direct for fitting wherever you wish.

David

Or Manvers Triumph

http://www.manvers-triumph.com/intro-frameset.htm

Manvers is in Suffolk............ so just up the road from the factory

Clive swears by them, he stuck them on my 4 and of course 7VC, they seem very good, even took a pounding at Snetterton with no ill effect ;)

think colway tyres are all remoulds just about to put 4 new ones on my 6 as its got 215/60-15 and they look dreadfull and two are lacking tread ive got the choice of firestone185or195/65-15@£45 pirellei 195/65-15@ £49 bfgoodridge@£50for185/65 £55for195/65 any body got any sugetions as to which are best to go for

Just want to plug the original Michelin XAS tyre, still in production, which offers outstanding performance against its competitors in the original size. Too bad for me the U.S. size is out of production; I must have got one of the last sets available in 2001 and they far exceed the performance of anything else I've used on my TR250s in 30 years of ownership.

Note that bigger, fatter tyres will always degrade the acceleration due to their higher inertia ;)

Dear all

Not wishing to be a Victor Meldrew, but I was under the impression that rather than personal choice or how fast you drive a car the tyres speed rating was a legal insurance requirement and a matter of safety. I assumed the tyre rating was due the a cars ability to put power thru the rubber from o mph to what ever and perhaps most importantly thru the corners rather than the speed you drive it. Would you put a low rated tyre on 300 plus bhp M3 BMW thrash the pants of it and as you long you do less than 70 mph expect life to be rosey?

Mind you the mention of BMW on this site may make some of you wince, by the way my only car is a TR6 and the boss has a Swedish car, and no not a Volvo.

So, not wishing to be trouble maker can any one answer the insurance requirement issue?

If it helps bought a pair of 185/70/15 H rated tyres @ £82.50 each delivered, not remoulds, Im getting on fine with these although still playing with tyre pressures, they seem to have a harder ride at the same pressure as the Fuldas I took off.

I was hoping to buy a TV on the forum but I see the seller has been removed! And they were such a good price :lol:

Regards

Smeggie

I use Avon 195/95 ZV1s. (Now superseeded by ZV3) which are sticky & well priced.

Whilst the Colways see favour with the rally fraternity I'm not a remould fan. Potentially you have 4 different donor carcasses with different weights and sidewall stiffness and characteristics.