Triumph TR Aeroscreen Reproduction Project

Dear All,

The club has an original aeroscreen. There are some 20 plus items to the assembly and a number of trades would be required to get all the items manufactured, patterns, casting, machining, purpose made fixings, plating, glazing to mention a few. Finding a company that will undertake the exercise of producing a complete finished item for sale at a sensible price might at first seem simple but in practice it is currently generating more refusals than offers. All this is going on with the background of members commenting on various small manufacturers doing their own thing with possibilities and promises of the items being available from a variety of sources but usually without a price, delivery or specification being quoted.

There is litle doubt there is some demand for these aeroscreens but for how many at what the cost and selling prices should be is less clear. Occasionally it is the case that once the interest has been generated in an item like this a small firm will grab the commercial opportunity and start producing the items like "rabbits out of a hat"! Continuing the analogy I would describe the situation as one where we are waiting for the act to come on stage and perform but we are not sure who the artiste will be or how many buyers there will be in the audience!

Chris Cunnington

General Manager

TR Register

Hi, Andrew: the one pictured on Ebay is the same that you and I (and most others) have. I actually prefer the profile to the taller type which S-T had as original equipment. Only difference with mine is the legend on the front: the title is "aeroscreen" rather than "Brooklands". And I've lowered mine by using customised brackets. Price when I got them in 1977 was £45 for the pair -so they've got relatively cheaper!

Tim.

Everyone,

As I have stated previously I have somone lined up who can arrange manufacture providing they have an original to us as a template. These people have already arranged manufacture of other Triumph parts that were not available in the past.. so have a track record.

If "someone" has an original, why do they not contact me directly to discuss.

It's as simple as that at this stage.

There are always factors which may limit the potential to actually go ahead and manufacture a prototype or even a production run... they are mostly based on what us TR2 / TR3 owners will pay to have reproduction screens on our car...

Hi Tim

I must admit that I agree about the lower profile of the Brooklands looking better, I think they suit the car more than Areoscreens. Mine came with the car in 1968 when the previous owner and long standing friend of mine (Fred Johnson - one of the first members of the Register) bought the car. Fred paid about £300 for the Brookland screens and the dealer threw the car in!

I have no idea what these things are worth, but there is obviously a demand for original pairs which affects the price of repros – the starting bid of $110 (£56) is for one screen only. I think I’ll keep an eye on this sale and see how it moves!

By-the-way, I liked your brief appearance on the Jabbeke video - nice hat, I must write to Santa!

Cheers and Happy Christmas

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Here they are: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Original-Wi...071051863QQrdZ1 & http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Original-Wi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Given all the hype surrounding these things, I'll say £2,000 the pair!

Best of luck, I think I'll hang on to my original Brooklands though!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

:huh: Hate to p**s on his chips but i have just measured the hole centres on my TR2 TS1013 and they are 13 1/4" and he does say they came off a Healey Silverstone. So my question is are they the same?

Stuart

:huh: Hate to p**s on his chips but i have just measured the hole centres on my TR2 TS1013 and they are 13 1/4" and he does say they came off a Healey Silverstone. So my question is are they the same?

Stuart

Stuart, et al: if anyone has an authentic screen, would there be any trade marks, logos or other indications that the Ebay ones are the real thing? Thanks

Hi Frank,

It's some time since I've seen an original TR2 aeroscreen, but my recollection is of slightly radiused internal and external corners all round on the frame - typical mid-1950s; rather than the generally more angular screens of the 30s and 40s.

Certainly the screens on ebay are very close, and they might be authentic - but they do seem a tad sharp on the frame corners. There were several proprietary makers of aeroscreens, and they all looked pretty similar, but that doesn't mean OE units were necessarily interchangeable any more than aftermarket accessories . . .

Bill Piggott should know the answer - he's an authority on Healeys as well as TRs.

Cheers,

Alec

The auction just ended. Almost $3000 for both!!! Crazy! I enjoyed watching it, but it was too rich for my blood. Well, I guess I'll keep looking and perhaps I'll find that elusive one to use for our sample.

Hi Frank,

$3000 ??!! The phrase 'more money than sense' comes to mind . . . and I still don't think they were TR items.

If you look at the main TR Register homepage, go to the left hand menu, click on 'member services' and scroll down, you'll find Mervyn Parkes - Spares Development Fund Treasurer. He's your man. Contact him via the office, he's not into the age of email yet.

Cheers,

Alec

Thank you Alec. Yes I quite agree. I may be over for the Stoneleigh show (via a business trip), and will try to hook up with Mervyn.

BTW, I am 99.999 percent certain that the screens on ebay were genuine. But $3K - unbelievable. More money than sense, yes. But we have lots over here, many dinks , too. (dual income, no kids). :)

New sub topic, if I may. Have you ever seen a TR "fitted suitcase"? There's a guy here in the states who claims that he can produce a very correct knock-off. Check this out.

lug758.jpg

lug755.jpg

Hi Frank

I believe fitted luggage was offered as an optional extra and I may have an old advert on my home laptop, so will check it out when I get home tonight.

The picture of the replica looks pretty darn good to me and I may be interested too!

Cheers

Andrew

$ 3200 for a pair of Aeroscreens is pricy but when have you ever seen an original pair for sale before ! Complete with rubber seals .

Compared to wheel spats its a bargain !

The Suite case is interesting , looks a great copy . Believe the original ones came in whatever colour your car was . Know of someone who borrowed a Geranium one to put in his Geranium car . It was an exprensive accessory , plus when you put it in your boot you will not get anything else in !

yours David

$ 3200 for a pair of Aeroscreens is pricy but when have you ever seen an original pair for sale before ! Complete with rubber seals .

Compared to wheel spats its a bargain !

The Suite case is interesting , looks a great copy . Believe the original ones came in whatever colour your car was . Know of someone who borrowed a Geranium one to put in his Geranium car . It was an exprensive accessory , plus when you put it in your boot you will not get anything else in !

yours David

David, et al: Yes, the suitcase is very nice. I will ring the guy or send him an email and ask for a quote. Gee, maybe we can get a quantity discount! I am sure that Bill Piggott could answer many of the questions regarding this sort of trivia. Does anyone know if Bill is accessible? Does anyone have his email or home address? :huh:

David, et al: Yes, the suitcase is very nice. I will ring the guy or send him an email and ask for a quote. Gee, maybe we can get a quantity discount! I am sure that Bill Piggott could answer many of the questions regarding this sort of trivia. Does anyone know if Bill is accessible? Does anyone have his email or home address? :huh:

You can only send an email to the Didcot office for Bill , his postal address is in the back of Traction magazine . Do you want it ?

He is rumoured to have an email address but it is top secret .

yours David

You can only send an email to the Didcot office for Bill , his postal address is in the back of Traction magazine . Do you want it ?

He is rumoured to have an email address but it is top secret .

yours David

Yes, please provide the address. Cheers

I believe fitted luggage was offered as an optional extra and I may have an old advert on my home laptop, so will check it out when I get home tonight.

Frank

I was wrong; I do not have an advert. I saw the suitcase pictured in BP's book "Original TR", here is the relevant photo and text:

Cheers

Andrew

Back to Aeros thought you might like

OK Now look at this! Is this the real thing? A TR aeroscreen?

So this is a close-up of the base or foot where the screen is attached to the cowl.

Can you provide some background?

Thank you ,

Frank

OK Now look at this! Is this the real thing? A TR aeroscreen?

So this is a close-up of the base or foot where the screen is attached to the cowl.

Can you provide some background?

Thank you ,

Frank

Frank

Yes its a totally original TR areo screen probably NOS . Glass , Rubber , Chrome perfect .

Unfortunately not mine !

David

Hi,

I have a set of Brooklands that I am fitting to my TR2 did not like the fixings supplied and I wanted to use original holes. So I am having a couple sets of brackets made that will provide the correct offset alloying me to use the existing holes. These brakets will be polished alloy.

Regards Jim

Edited by jimcun