Triumph TR Aeroscreen Reproduction Project

Some time ago, in 2003 I believe, a TR enthusiast in the UK attempted to have Triumph TR Aeroscreens reproduced. He was working from an original pair that he owned. Apparently he ran into some difficulties regarding the safety glass. To my knowledge, he never completed the project. As I plan to retire soon, I am willing to take on this challenge and, with a little bit of luck and help from some of you, may succeed.

The purpose of this post is threefold, first to say that I am interested in having authentic Triumph aeroscreens reproduced, second to get a feel for the level of interest amongst our sidescreen TR ownership and third to locate an original aeroscreen from which to prepare engineering drawings and specifications.

So, please let me know if you might be interested in contributing to this effort in some way, and if you know of the whereabouts of an original aeroscreen.

Many thanks,

Frank Angelini

Downingtown, PA USA

TR3A TS58476LO (under restoration)

TR250 CD1510LO

Frank,

I would be interested -

I am restoring an early TR3A, still having the factory made mounting holes. Their distance is wider that of the repro parts you find at Moss&Co.

So in my eyes it would be necessary to repdorduce this "footprint".

Good luck with your project

Johannes

:) Frank thats a great idea i would love to put a pair on my early 2 as it has definitely been raced and rallyed and they would suit it a treat. I believe Ken Mumford was going to get them reproduced some time ago but i havent heard anything lately. I think the reason you dont see that many cars using them is most owners are loath to drill the additional holes required for the repros when there is a perfectly good set of original captives sitting there doing nothing.

Stuart.

Frank..great idea. Count me in for a set for my late TR2.

Regards

Roger :)

Frank

I've replied to your email, but I too would be interested (depending on cost) as I also have the pre-drilled holes and usually drive around with an original pair of "Brooklands" screens fitted in all weathers - ya can't beat the sensation!! B)

Cheers

Andrew

Frank,

I got your individual message but did not know how to reply so I reply here.

Remember my car is right hand drive:

The right hand aeroscreen has two bolt holes, the left hand bolt hole of this screen is 8cms to the right of the right hand fixing bolt for the rear view mirror, and the right hand bolt hole is 34cms from the left bolt hole . I hope this is clear it is difficult to explain clearly!! In other words the aeroscreen bolts are 34cms apart Let me know if you need more info.

Regards

Roger

Hi Frank, I too would be interested in a pair for my early TR2 TS362 L (now right hand drive), I did write to Ken a couple of months ago to express interest through a club initiative (?) but do not know if this is still going ahead. Regards, Bill

Hi Frank, I too would be interested in a pair for my early TR2 TS362 L (now right hand drive), I did write to Ken a couple of months ago to express interest through a club initiative (?) but do not know if this is still going ahead. Regards, Bill

Bill: Did Ken reply to your letter? Do you know his telephone number or email address?

Thanks

Frank, I regret that the answer is no to all questions. I did not really expect a reply as I had not added stamped addressed envelope. I just wanted to add my vote to the project. Before I heard of this project I was wondering about making up a bracket that fitted the fixings found on TR2/3 and early 3A that a standard aero screen could then fix on to. Obviously completely original style aeroscreens would be much better, but if there is a problem re glass it may be a reasonable second best solution? Regards Bill

Frank, I regret that the answer is no to all questions. I did not really expect a reply as I had not added stamped addressed envelope. I just wanted to add my vote to the project. Before I heard of this project I was wondering about making up a bracket that fitted the fixings found on TR2/3 and early 3A that a standard aero screen could then fix on to. Obviously completely original style aeroscreens would be much better, but if there is a problem re glass it may be a reasonable second best solution? Regards Bill

Bill: Thank you for the response. It is amazing, isn't it, how convenient this email business has become. I mean, the old snail mail just doesn't seem to be adequate anymore. But, if someone doesn't have access to a computer, that's the problem. We have email service in most of our public libraries. During the day you will find many oldies (OAP's) tapping away at the keyboard. I guess that will be me in a few years. :-)

I have had correspondence with another chap in this forum who says that he knows Ken and hopefully he can establish just what happened to the original project he started.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank

As Register members I believe we all contribute to a 'Spares Development Fund'

Try contacting the office at Didcott and see if some of the work you wish to carry out has already been done?

I have a set of original holes in my scuttle for a set of aeroscreens but am not brave (or stupid) enough to want to have them on my car in the UK climate

Good luck

Unc :D

........I have a set of original holes in my scuttle for a set of aeroscreens but am not brave (or stupid) enough to want to have them on my car in the UK climate

You know it makes sense Peter B) , unless you’re in France and the heavens open up and all you have for protection is an umbrella – but it’s no at good at 80 mph!! :lol:

Cheers

Andrew

PS, I like little dogs really!

Edited by Andrew Smith
  • 2 weeks later...

We've been here before... talked to the person you mention above, but then nothing...

I then had someone else lined up to manufacture some replicas but could find no one to lend us some originals! Had buyers lined up as well...

Sent an e-mail asking about the spares fund... nothing happened there ...

This must have been two years ago!

We've been here before... talked to the person you mention above, but then nothing...

I then had someone else lined up to manufacture some replicas but could find no one to lend us some originals! Had buyers lined up as well...

Sent an e-mail asking about the spares fund... nothing happened there ...

This must have been two years ago!

Clive: This has become rather circuitous. However, I have a source (in England) who has pledged an original aero screen as a loaner. If your manufacturing contact is still willing to take this on we may have some hope of reviving this project. Are you willing to contact him and inquire? You can send me a private post if you prefer.

Thanks,

Frank

I came across a photo of an aero screen in a French TR website. See attached. Now, if you will, please compare it to the photo that I had originally posted. There are distinct differences. The one in France has a different shape and appears to be made from alloy in a dull finish. You can barely make out the words "aero screen" The one I posted, which I was told by the source was original, has a brite finish and slightly different shape. Can't tell if there are any words stamped in the frame. It also has a rubber seal fitted to go between the scuttle and the bottom of the screen. Does anyone have an opinion as to which one apprears to be correct? Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,

It seems I have been having this conversation on and off with people for over 3 years now. I have been loaned an orginal aero screen and toted it around several different companies with a view to getting it re made. So far no one wants the job because the cost is too high. They would have to retail at at over £100 each and no one is prepared to pay for the tooling. I can confirm that Ken Mumford was the man behind the original repro screen idea and he did make some in brass that chromed up really well. The glass is very different from the brooklands type and the feet are completely different. The photo on the post two above this one shows a brooklands screen with some aadapted brackets made up by my friend peter wigglesworth. This was the cheapest way we could think of using the orginal drilled holes in the scuttles and still use the brookland peg fixing. It does lower the brooklands screen (no bad thing) but it was only ever a stop gap device. The original aeroscreens had a rubber instert in the bottom of the frame to seal to the body work. (god knows why, it would hardly stop the draught would it!)

Anyway, The screen is in good hands and there may be an annoucement on progress in January after the old farts meeting.

If people want any more information drop me an email.

Paul Hogan.

IN reply to the psot above by the most dangerous person in the tr register...

as voted officially, but perhaps not in fact!

Bull do dah!

Want more info, talk to me direct!!!

May I suggest that you contact Mervyn Parkes, SDF treasurer, via the Didcot office ?

If people want any more information drop me an email.

Want more info, talk to me direct!!!

Well Frank

Looks like you are spoilt for choice.

Unc :blink:

the only original aeroscreens that i have seen in the flesh/brass/steel/whatever were on TS2 at Le Mans in 2005. i believe she was sporting one repro and one original. if it works, you will see some register luminaries fitting the nos screen in the attached photo...

alan

post-468-1165881624_thumb.jpg

post-468-1165881624_thumb.jpg

...and here she is with both fitted. my own 2 is behind, with the brooklands screens using what i assume are the "wigglesworth adaptors" so that you can use the original mountings on the scuttle rather than the brooklands provided mount as seen in andrews picture above. i think the 2 behind me is paul tunnadines'.

alan

ps whoever gets them done, please put me down for a pair...