TR7V8 Fuel probs

Good afternoon,

I 3/4 filled the car with petrol on sunday, and put the car straight away in the garage, when I came back later it appeared that all the fuel had been dumped on the floor, I pulled the car out of the garage and turned the ignition on, and there appeared to be 1/2 a tank left, I cant see any leaks, I did repair a hole on the bottom of the tank some time ago, and its not leaking from there, or all the petrol would have gone.

May be up the side of the tank, my question is, has any body got a suitable diagram of the tank assembly, as there are no diagrams at all in the Haynes manual.

It seemed like a lot of petrol on the floor, but it does go a long way, and the gauge is not that accurate, so may not have lost as much as imagined, does anyone know how much petrol is contained in the pipe to the tank, I guss I'm hoping its not a hole in the tank at all, or am I clutching at straws, any suggestions, or diagrams will be welcome.

Regards

Big Rumbly

You have already checked the line connections to pump etc?

A little fuel on the floor goes a long way, 12-15litres would be more of a flood than a pool.

The tank assembly is pretty straight forward and if there is a lot of fuel on the floor you should be able to see where it has dribbled down the sides.

I wouldnt recommend the fuel guage as a terribly accurate instrument unless you have recently checked the float etc. With the age of relays etc on most of our cars switching on the ignition isnt a particularly good idea either if there are a lot of fuel fumes.

To be honest, I hav'nt been under it yet,only to check if it was leaking from my recent repair, the smell of petrol gives me a headache, I may have to take it to Robsport. It started to smell heavily of petrol when I went quick round a corner, which makes mesuspect there may be a hole in the side. Thanks for the reply

Quite a common place for them to leak is the flange that holds in the sender unit. This is a bayonet style locking ring, but as th tank corrodes, the flange on the tank weakens, so it no longer seals the sender properly, then it leaks down to that level. (About 1/2 tank!)

If this is the case the simplest repair is a new tank. This also means removing the rear axle, so a good excuse to replace the bushes!

Cheers

Andy...