TR4 Mobile Phone Solutions? - David Pope.

Hi, New TR4 owner here.  Just wondering if anyone has devised a neat way of fixing a mobile phone on the dash?  I use mine for sat nav and am currently just lying it 'screen up' in the passenger seat which is not ideal!

Hi David, welcome to TR4 ownership. Here’s how I use mine. It just sucks the windscreen! Search Amazon or eBay, cost about a tenner from memory.

regards

David

Please wait while image is uploading...

IMG_1861.jpeg

Posted (edited)

That looks like a good option thanks. Out of interest what size is your steering wheel please?  I still have the original but am looking to replace with a smaller one (thinking probably 14'') as it's a bit tight getting in and out.

Edited by Popey

I’ve had a couple of different sizes. 13” was on originally, but I found that too difficult to manoeuvre when parking. So what you see in the photo is 15” which I find a big improvement.

David

1 hour ago, Popey said:

That looks like a good option thanks. Out of interest what size is your steering wheel please?  I still have the original but am looking to replace with a smaller one (thinking probably 14'') as it's a bit tight getting in and out.

What you need to facilitate getting in and out and also to improve low speed manouverability is what I have on mine which is a Herald wheel as they have slightly more dish to them and make sure the column is right in as far as it will go to the dash, I really dont like wooden wheels having seen what can happen when they break.

Stuart.

DSC04703.JPG

1 hour ago, stuart said:

I really dont like wooden wheels having seen what can happen when they break.

I quite agree!. Horrific gut injuries. Fortunately, many of the wood lookalike steering wheels are in composite resin.

I had thought that the sale of wood steering wheels had been banned, but I got shot down on this forum a year or so ago.

james

I have a suction phone-holder which I mount to the inside of the glovebox lid when it is open, so it acts like a shelf and is unseen when the glovebox is. Closed.

……. Andy

+1  

I have the same setup as Andy. I also added a 12v “cigar lighter” plug inside the glovebox, with a USB adapter for charging the phone.

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

Good morning David, 

hope you still 'Growing' into your 'New' TR4!

As I think I told you I use a 13 inch, flat wheel with a thick rim, suits me fine,

with no issues. Bought a long time ago now from that infamous internet auction site.

David I've altered the title of your post to better suit the content, hope that's OK?

John.IMG_1220.jpg.eb02692b888f25a9194f06935d705e99.jpg

• John Morrison changed the title to TR4 Mobile Phone Solutions? - David Pope.

Because my son, Alex, has legs like tree trunks from all his cycling, I reduced the original flat 15" wheel to 14" (thanks to Peter Bowden) but, as that was still too large, now to 13", along with modifying the front mounting of the seat to lower it by 2cm.  Alex now is able to operate the clutch without having to contort himself !

I was able to lower the front of the seat because 4VC has special mountings for the Sprinzel Rally seat., installed in 1962, with some further metalwork made by me in 1969 to permit the seat to slide further forward (for my short legs).

I have changed from 195/65 on 5.5" steel to 165/80 tyres on 5" alloys, and neither of us can detect any difference in steering effort when driving - always heavier when manoeuvring, of course.

BTW, Alex and 4 friends entered the Mallorca 312 (means kilometres) event in April, along with >8000 others - not all do the full course, which is probably just as well!  He covered 193 miles in 12h33m, with total climbs of >14,000 feet.  His group of 5 all finished within the required time.  To maintain fitness, he cycles the 12 miles to the surgery in Headington twice a week, unless the weather is awful - he averages about 19mph and it's quicker than using the car!

Ian Cornish

On 6/2/2024 at 10:03 AM, ianc said:

Because my son, Alex, has legs like tree trunks from all his cycling, I reduced the original flat 15" wheel to 14" (thanks to Peter Bowden) but, as that was still too large, now to 13", along with modifying the front mounting of the seat to lower it by 2cm.  Alex now is able to operate the clutch without having to contort himself !

I was able to lower the front of the seat because 4VC has special mountings for the Sprinzel Rally seat., installed in 1962, with some further metalwork made by me in 1969 to permit the seat to slide further forward (for my short legs).

I have changed from 195/65 on 5.5" steel to 165/80 tyres on 5" alloys, and neither of us can detect any difference in steering effort when driving - always heavier when manoeuvring, of course.

BTW, Alex and 4 friends entered the Mallorca 312 (means kilometres) event in April, along with >8000 others - not all do the full course, which is probably just as well!  He covered 193 miles in 12h33m, with total climbs of >14,000 feet.  His group of 5 all finished within the required time.  To maintain fitness, he cycles the 12 miles to the surgery in Headington twice a week, unless the weather is awful - he averages about 19mph and it's quicker than using the car!

Ian Cornish

Agree with the bit about quicker than a car.

When working for Cox & Buckles / Moss in Richmond I used to cycle from home most days.   It was 7 miles and reliably took 28-34 minutes depending on direction, down hill to the Thames from home, time of day;   by night the dynamo was working to power the lights, and the wind direction .   The car journey was anything between 30 minutes and 2 hours.   The only grotty part of cycling was arriving at work sweaty or soaked.