pistons std vs. forged

Apart from the obvious, whats the difference between the standard hepolite 17753 piston and the forged items listed on moss' site (and probably a few others, but i haven't got that far yet!) ? is there a known failure on these parts at all that i should be looking for?

It als seems a bit strange to me that standard hepolites are ~£180 whereas these forged ones are ~£135..... (ok, theres rings inc in the hepolites, but.....)

Thanks,

Mike

I guess the forged ones are £135 each rather than a set.

Much stronger than standard (which are strong enough). Intended for race engineswhere loadings are greater. Forged pistons tend to run larger cleances so greater oil consumption than standard.

good to know that the standard ones are quite good. That qty column was confusing me on the moss site. £31.90 and 1 req for standard pistons, or £135 and 6 req for the forged. The math didn't quite add up! :huh: But, I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to call moss!

But, yeah, i guess standards will do for my application (they aren't exactly for a triumph anyway! ;) )

Cheers guys.

Yeah, I noticed! :D

I was informed that TR6 pistons are the largest commercially available units that fit in the A-series engine and thus when i'd been looking and got a bit confused, i knew just the place to ask! I was a TR6 owner for a time afterall! ;) Back in the good ole days... B)

Edited by pikey7
while i'm here (if anyone's still talking to me! ;) ), does anyone know the standard bore size that works with these pistons? and if anyone knows the wrist pin height, it would be greatly appreciated :D

Cheeky; it would have been nice if you could have made your allegiances clear at the start of your post but I’m a glutton for punishment!

The standard bore size is 2.94” or 74.7mm. I assume by ‘wrist pin’ ht. you mean the distance from the C/L of the gudgeon pin to the piston crown? I don’t have any info for this; maybe try the Hepolite web site!! Good luck anyway.

Are you doing the 1380cc conversion? Many, many moons ago, 20 plus years, I did that and used Triumph 2000 pistons, Piper yellow cam, Howley head, 1 1/2 " SU, gave 108bhp at the wheels. The pistons stood up to it, but the metal between the centre bores was minimal and was the weak spot.

it'll end up being a 1373 conversion as i'm going to be using a short stroke crank to make it a bit of a screamer. I hope the redline will be somewhere around the 11k rpm mark, but i have to still do some research on valvesrpings to cope with that!. I plan to have some cromoly liners made up and bonded in place to hopefully alleviate the problem of weak walls, but the engine is very much in the planning stage at the moment (hence the questions here) Plan is also to utilise the 8 port heads, or possibly the BMW K100 16v head with custom cam profiles, and then, just for fun, stuff a supercharger somewhere under the very small bonnet! :blink: I must be mad! :o