4a front suspension and other chassis repairs

Hi, I'm considering getting one or two jobs done over the winter which has raised a couple of queries:

Front suspension - I'm going to have the stiffening plates added to the lower fulcrum bracket mounting brackets. Should I go the whole hog and have new mounting brackets put on the chassis or just stick with the strengtheners? Chassis is in good nick.

Should I switch to TR6 type 2 stud lower fulcrum brackets?

How straightforward a job is it to replace rear trailing arms (body on)?

Many thanks

Andy

:) Hi Andy. In answer to your questions.

Add the stiffening plates to your original brackets is the preffered option but also check and re weld if necessary around the original brackets.

Definitely add the later type fulcrum brackets as they are a much safer fixing.

Rear suspension arms are not too difficult to replace in situ but you may find it is easier to do it with the car up on stands rather than on a ramp.

Hope this helps.

Stuart.

Hi, I'm considering getting one or two jobs done over the winter which has raised a couple of queries:

Front suspension - I'm going to have the stiffening plates added to the lower fulcrum bracket mounting brackets. Should I go the whole hog and have new mounting brackets put on the chassis or just stick with the strengtheners? Chassis is in good nick.

Should I switch to TR6 type 2 stud lower fulcrum brackets?

How straightforward a job is it to replace rear trailing arms (body on)?

Many thanks

Andy

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart, that's a real help.

I have a slight quandry with the trailing arms - the chassis was sandblasted and repaired during the previous owner's ownership. The chassis repairs appear to be good quality. However there is a small patch on each of the trailing arms on the top section (not at the point where the brackets are mounted but nearer the cruciform plate). This makes me question what condition the spacers within the trailing arm might be in, although there is no specific visible evidence of there being anything amiss but I am not experienced enough to be sure. Makes me wonder if I am better off replacing them altogether (which I rather wish the PO had done in the first place).

I sometimes wonder if part of the problem is that I only ever remember the dire warnings from Roger Williams books and not the enjyable bits!

Edited by 67_gt6

<_< I think I may have misunderstood what you meant by trailing arms, if you are refering to the outriggers themselves where your trailing arms bolt onto then no you cant replace them properly with the body on although i have seen it done with the body raised by a foot at the rear though not easy. You can usually tell if the reinforcing tubes are still ok because you will never get the bolts to tighten up as they will crush the box section.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, yes my mistake it is the outriggers I am talking about. I'll check if the bolts are torqued up correctly

andy

Hi Andy there are some repairers who will replace the outriggers without lifting the body and this is done by cutting a part of the rear floor pan away to allow access to the area where the outrigger is welded to the top side of the main chassis rail. once welded in position the floorpan is bent back down and the cut is welded up.

This type of repair is structurally sound and the welded floor is hidden by the mats, it also avoids the problem of alignment which can occur when the chassis and body are completly parted. The question is do you need to remove the body for any other reason, if not then replacement in place may be the best option for a non concours "club car".

The choice is yours as is the cost.

Best regards Chris

Thanks Stuart and Chris.

I am beginning to think now that maybe the outriggers are ok - the small patches on each side are on the top of the outrigger near the breast plate rather than on the face that the trailing arm bracket bolts go into which I think is probably less of a concern in terms of their strength as a mounting point for the trailing arms.

Andy,

A wise man might wish to have an experienced pair of eyes scan the questionable areas . . . it's a lot cheaper and easier to deal with it sooner rather than later. Or look at it this way, if there is a future problem with the trailing arm location dislocating, then 'later' is very possibly not going to be an available option.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec, yep I agree I'll get them looked over whilst I'm having the front mountings done

cheers

andy