Alternator Advice

Hi Adam. Depends on what you already have. S&S and Rimmers list the standard TR7 Lucas alternator (17 ACR - 36amp), and both list an uprated/heavy duty unit (25 ACR - 75amp I think). The 25 ACR tends to be used on V8 conversions and I think it was fitted to TR8s with aircon and the V8 Rover SD1.

As you might guess there are a whole range of Lucas alternators from the 15 ACR (used on the TR4) upwards....

Cheers

Malcolm.

Edited by malcolm

Guys

Hope I am allowed in from the TR6 Forum next door.

What, if anything, is the downside of uprating the output of the alternator? I struggle to see any. The only posibility might be a minor loss of power due to increased drag on the fanbelt?

The alternator on my 6 is a 45amp and the front bearing is rumbling, so I am proposing to uprate and can't see any reason why not.

Regards

Tim

The alternator on my 6 is a 45amp and the front bearing is rumbling, so I am proposing to uprate and can't see any reason why not.

Regards

Tim

Neither can I, your alternator will only give the extra amps if the battery or electrical system need it, therefore the load on the engine should be no worse unless the extra is being drawn. Might be worth checking that the wiring harness can take the extra load though!

Ray

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dolomiteman

The A127 as fitted to Montego/Maestro is a direct fit; even has the correct plug and gives 55-65 amps depending on spec of car taken from.

I can supply new A127s at £55 plus postage as an outright purchase or reconditioned ACR o/e units at £40 plus postage exchange.

I can also supply reconditioned starter motors at £65 plus postage exchange

Edited by dolomiteman
Guest dolomiteman

The A127 type alternator was fitted to many different vehicles, probably as many as 'our' original acr was over time. The benefit of the Montego/Maestro application is the three pin spade terminal is identical to the one on 'our' looms so no hacking of wires required. It is fitted as easily as the original.

Lucas have not made the acr for several years now, recent ones having been mde under licence in India. The chap who sources these for me on behalf of the TDC tells me they too have stopped making them due to the weight of copper involved making then unviable at todays rates. Similarly, due to falling demand for the A127 he reckons there is about 6 months licenced production life left! I have therefore made an appeal to TDC members to keep old units as core items for reconditioning which is a viable proposition so long as batch numbers are high enough...hence my prices being exchange prices