Annoying clunk

:( There is an annoying clunk at low speeds coming from the front nearside of my 4.6. It sounds like a golf ball rolling up & down the sill cavity! I have had the front shocks changed (they need it), The top suspension mounts (they didn't), all other suspension is fine. Might be the exhaust but when the car is on the ramp it's impossible to make the exhaust hit anything. Passenger can feel the clunk by their left foot.

Any ideas please? Anyone want a spare golfball?

Jo

When do you hear the clunk, Under acceleration,braking, cornering hard cornering? A clunk from the front could be any number of things is the subframe secure? Have you checked the things that hang off the suspension eg calipers, are the wheel bearings ok? More info required.

When do you hear the clunk, Under acceleration,braking, cornering hard cornering? A clunk from the front could be any number of things is the subframe secure? Have you checked the things that hang off the suspension eg calipers, are the wheel bearings ok? More info required.

Good points! It is a low speeds, usually when starting off, especially on a bumpy road. Live in the sticks so most roads are bumpy. No clunks at speed or cornering hard or fast. Might try & listen if it is when turning left or right at low speed. Can hear when in a straight line; I'm running out of ideas, apert from the trapped golf ball.

Thanks

Jo

• 2 weeks later...
Check all of the bolts on the trailing arms/top links at the back & the top links. Loose bolts produce a clonk which will travel up the sill, believe me. Also check the exhaust as it goes past the gearbox cross member.

Thanks Cinnobar,

I appreciate the advice & will investigate. Will let you know what happens,

Jo.