To re replace or repair my chassis

I have discovered that I have chassis rot in my font rails between the cross brace and the front suspension. I have repaired the lower section it but the metal is awfully thin. Which maybe something to do with the fact that he car spent 30 years in Littlehampton West Sussex in William Osborne’s yard (they used to make lifeboats by the way!)

To do the job properly it would mean major repairs and access to of the top of the rails would be limited with the body on.

Has anyone been in this situation and had experience of either repairing in situ or a chassis swap.

There are a number of “new” chassis options available is it better to have yours rebuilt or go for a "as new Revington or CTM" version.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

I would also look at getting hold of a good second hand chassis, there seems to be quite a few about. Make sure you correctley check it for accident damage and rust first.

If your chassis has rusted that badly I assume the outer panels will need a bit of work as well :(

Hi Dave

It's difficult to advise on your problem, without knowing all the facts. Is the chassis rot in the front rails the only problem with an otherwise useable car?. If so then it should be possible to repair rather than replace the whole chassis. It sounds like the body has to come off, so it's going to be a lot of work either way. Are you going to do this work yourself?. Do you want to do a complete "renovation" while the body's off?. Will it turn into a long term restoration?.

If the answer to the first question is yes, then I would suggest removing the body, which can be done without disturbing the fit of the doors or outer panels (see Roger Williams book How to Restore Triumph TR2 TR3 & 3A). Repair the chassis, I'm not experienced in this, but I would seek out somebody with a track record in this, as you obviously want a strong job with no distortion during welding, (once again refer to Roger's book). Replace the body, and away you go. This will prevent you falling into the long term restoration trap.

If you decide the rest of the chassis is poor after removing the body I don't know how much a new chassis is but I would agree with Kiwifrog the best way out is to look for a secondhand chassis, I have probably got a spare chassis, which looks pretty good, it will want blasting and painting, but I think a considerable saving on the cost of a new one. Bear in mind that you will have more trouble replacing your body on a different chassis, than back onto the original.

I'll PM my contact details in case you want to discuss further.

Regards John

It's almost sure that you will find a lot of rust on the body too, maybe 5 inch or so the whole car round and to rectify this, a complete retoration will be the only answer?

I had this exact problem and managed to buy a new ST chassis for a bargain price. The removal of the body and replacement was not a quick job and lasted from 1969 until 1986 when I won the cup for the best non standard TR3 at the International at Castle Donnington.

Good luck

Richard tr3a

Thanks for eyerone who gave me their views.

I should have said that the car is in very good condition with no rot, as it was restored about 10 years ago and the underside has always had a liberal coating of oil despite my best efforts to stop the leaks!!

Thanks again!!

Dave