Paint spec, Triumph White.

Whilst parked outside a local village post office to collect a new tax disc, my TR6 became a victim of senseless vandalism. Unfortunately I didn't notice the damage until I returned home. I have my suspicions but there are no witnesses and no CCTV footage. I have reported the incident to the police and passed on a description of the suspect that was hovering around my car...a middle aged man with a push bike, smartly dressed albeit a bit simple looking. He was ranting at a female motorist as I pulled up but I had no idea what his grief was. He managed to scrape his peddle (I’m guessing a bit as I did actually witness the incident) up and down numerous times producing deep gouges to my front wing.

Anyway, my local coachworks has asked for a paint spec to see how well his paint chips match the car. The car has always been white but was resprayed back in 1986, long before I owned the car. The invoice simply states the colour as Triumph White.

Does anyone know what the paint spec should be?

It a 1974 original UK spec car and looks like an old English white.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Chris,

Your TR should be New White which was the only "white" used originally by Triumph for the TR6. References for Triumph New White follows along with the ICI formula:-

Triumph New White reference 19. ICI reference 3738. ICI PO30 Mixing Formula. code 9900 97%, code 9911RT 2%, code 9901RT 1%.

Hope that this helps,

Derek

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car Chris, you don't live near Windsor do you ? A middle aged man on a push bike started hurling abuse at me today for no apparant reason when I moved my TR from one end of my street to the other! Maybe there's a sinister uprising of middle aged men on bicycles with an anti TR agenda! :unsure: In all seriousness though, my 6 was vandalised last year so I know it's not a nice feeling - the comments and support from people on this board restored my faith in human nature though! Hope that you can get it sorted without too much hassle now Derek has identified the colour code for you.

Michael.

Chris

As a middle aged cyclist with a TR6 I'm sorry to hear you're car was vandalised, these reports are a bit depressing because I tended to think people were less likely to attack a classic as the public in general tend to like them [apart from one tree hugger that hurled abuse at me a couple of years ago :huh: ] and they don't usually bring out the envy that things like Porches etc do, commiserations anyway,

Ron

Commiserations on the vandalism Chris; I live in a similar environment & whilst I would never dream of parking the TR in any of our nearby town’s main car parks, I must admit that having the village idiot (& we do have one!) taking a dislike to my car whilst parked outside our local, village store is not what I would anticipate!

I would advise you to ask your repairer to get the paint mixed from their paint factor using a spectrum analyser. Most good paint factors offer this service & it will give you a perfect match for the colour of the paint on the rest of your car. This will have changed since it was applied so matching by paint codes (although a good starting point) is not usually a good bet.

• 11 years later...

Hahaha...well I bought my TR6 when I was 28 and suddenly I'm 70 ! All I know is whenever I drive it I seem to become 28 all over again!

Oh! When I touch up my White paint with the 'Classic Car Colours' Rattle-Can white 19 it doesn't match anymore...like me it's obviously faded a bit!

Can't the painter use a spectrograph to match exactly after all I suspect the paint has somewhat faded over the years and white is the hardest colour to match!