Hi all

When I got my TR4 it had MX5 seats fitted though the runner brackets were a bit of a lash up!

I know that there are a number of firms doing adapter brackets plus the 'Technicalities' DIY ones. I have a chance of some nicer leather seats than the draylon ones I have so I would like to have a pair of decent brackets as a starting point. There are a number of threads scattered about in the Forums but I would like opinions as to the best option (without spending a fortune). I appreciate that there are some mods required to the MX5 runners.

I'm off to have a look at the seats tomorrow so would appreciate your input.

Regards

Andy

Andy - how about a set of the ones I do -  sold a quite a few of these to other members with no complaints - attached link to my post in the "for Sale under £250 forum":

I could take to Ambergate if you are going, otherwise anyone else you know who might be going? Could they also fit a 4A front bumper in? See my post in "Social Scene" for explanation.

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

Andy - how about a set of the ones I do -  sold a quite a few of these to other members with no complaints - attached link to my post in the "for Sale under £250 forum":

I could take to Ambergate if you are going, otherwise anyone else you know who might be going? Could they also fit a 4A front bumper in? See my post in "Social Scene" for explanation.

Cheers Rich

Thanks Rich

Having bought one of your radiator cowls I know they will be a good fit but they are a bit outside my budget. I will have a think, though, as they do look good. Not sure if anyone is going to Ambergate from up here but I will check

Andy

There’s a company in the US called Patton Machine that makes mounting plates, that use the stock MX5 rails. The plates bolt to the Triumph seat attachment points and the MX5 rails bolt to the plates. It’s what I used on my TR4A.

https://www.pattonmachine.com/shop/

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

Another big tick for Rich's brackets - quality bit of kit and fit very well + safely secure. Recently fitted to my TR4A and delighted with the result

I believe that John Morrison will be going to Ambergate.

As the Cumbria Group Leader, he must live somewhere up in your part of the world and will be taking one of Rich's bumpers northwards from Ambergate.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

I believe that John Morrison will be going to Ambergate.

As the Cumbria Group Leader, he must live somewhere up in your part of the world and will be taking one of Rich's bumpers northwards from Ambergate.

Ian Cornish

I don't think John is going

Andy

Hi All

Yesterday I took a trip to Castle Douglas to visit www.autolink.co.uk where I met Andrew Stott who supplied me with a very nice pair of MK2 MX5 seats. They are black leather and were from a ltd edition 'Jasper Conran' car which means they are Connolly hide with perforated panels. I am very pleased with them. The price was reasonable and he took my rather shabby cloth covered ones in part exchange. He has a large selection of seats and assorted covers stripped from seats. He even has newly covered ones in leather. More importantly, he was a great guy to deal with.

Before I make a decision on mountings, I notice that Rich suggests that we may want to add spacers to raise the front. I assume that the original MX5 floorpan was shaped rather than flat so I wonder how much the front should be raised to match Mazda's original.

I presume that I need to alter the rail at both ends and cut off the pointed pins

Any pointers would be welcome as it is a bit of a nightmare working through the various threads to glean the information I need

Cheers

Andy

22EhUzN4ROWkUfQR6bRi1A_thumb_b954.jpg

T0ztjOBLRC6KnBQdXyXiJQ_thumb_b956.jpg

1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

Hi All

Yesterday I took a trip to Castle Douglas to visit www.autolink.co.uk where I met Andrew Stott who supplied me with a very nice pair of MK2 MX5 seats. They are black leather and were from a ltd edition 'Jasper Conran' car which means they are Connolly hide with perforated panels. I am very pleased with them. The price was reasonable and he took my rather shabby cloth covered ones in part exchange. He has a large selection of seats and assorted covers stripped from seats. He even has newly covered ones in leather. More importantly, he was a great guy to deal with.

Before I make a decision on mountings, I notice that Rich suggests that we may want to add spacers to raise the front. I assume that the original MX5 floorpan was shaped rather than flat so I wonder how much the front should be raised to match Mazda's original.

I presume that I need to alter the rail at both ends and cut off the pointed pins

Any pointers would be welcome as it is a bit of a nightmare working through the various threads to glean the information I need

Cheers

Andy

22EhUzN4ROWkUfQR6bRi1A_thumb_b954.jpg

T0ztjOBLRC6KnBQdXyXiJQ_thumb_b956.jpg

Andy - there's quite a lot of helpful info on TR Traders website (https://www.trtrader.com/parts-lists/MX5-seat-brackets.htm  )about how to modify the MX5 seat runners - it's not difficult.

Raising either the front or the back of the seat, if you need to for comfort, is accomplished by packing out the bracket mounting stud with appropriate washers to suit on top of the bracket - there's not much adjustment but usually enough - I did see a post some time ago from someone who used a stud extender to raise it even more.

I will be taking some seat runner conversion sets to Ambergate if anyone is interested ( £70 ) - however please note that Harry's kind comments about them in an earlier post was before he went to Specsavers, as the brackets are not painted although admittedly, they look as though they are - it's my amazing photographic techniques -as if!!!  

Cheers Rich

3 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Andy - there's quite a lot of helpful info on TR Traders website (https://www.trtrader.com/parts-lists/MX5-seat-brackets.htm  )about how to modify the MX5 seat runners - it's not difficult.

Raising either the front or the back of the seat, if you need to for comfort, is accomplished by packing out the bracket mounting stud with appropriate washers to suit on top of the bracket - there's not much adjustment but usually enough - I did see a post some time ago from someone who used a stud extender to raise it even more.

I will be taking some seat runner conversion sets to Ambergate if anyone is interested ( £70 ) - however please note that Harry's kind comments about them in an earlier post was before he went to Specsavers, as the brackets are not painted although admittedly, they look as though they are - it's my amazing photographic techniques -as if!!!  

Cheers Rich

Thanks Rich

John M will be picking up a set this weekend for me as per our phone call

Andy

7 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Moi!

The original seat fasteners to the floor pans are problematic.

Puny bolts and small back plates are hardly a safety feature. Unfortunately with the body on the chassis, they are not all accessible to modify with larger plates and bolts.

With safety in mind, I would custom make a solid base frame that provides greater strength when bolted to the floor linking both sides of the seat base rails rather than just each side.

John Morrison has very kindly done the mods to the runners and will be picking up a pair of brackets from Richard Crewe-Read this weekend so hopefully I will have the seats in next week. Next on the agenda is a pair of inertia reel belts and belt guides!

Onwards and upwards

Thanks to all for your help

Andy

Hi all

Fitted the new seats this morning and can't speak too highly of the mounting plates supplied by Rich Crewe-Read that John Morrison kindly picked up for me on Saturday from Ambergate.

Not having driven with the new seats the jury is out as to whether or not I prefer them to the 4A seats that I had in before. My heart and eyes prefer the Triumph ones - I suspect my back and neck will prefer the Mazda ones!

One word of warning. Be sure that both runners are on the same part of the ratchet or they won't fit!

Andy