Advice on wiring connectors - not for TR

Hi All

I am in the process of adding some electrical bits to my 2007 Range Rover. On my TR is have used non insulated Lucar type connectors with the neoprene sleeve. They seem to work well - I have them in various styles too. As well as the spade type, I have the bullet type as well. My question really is - are these the best to use or is there something more in keeping with a more modern vehicle? Or am I better just soldering the wires and heat shrinking them? The joints will all be hidden inside a door and aren't likely to need to be undone.

Personally I prefer the non insulated ones with the neoprene sleeve (on the right of my pic) - I think the crimping is superior on those.

These are the options I have for spade terminal (I know the non insulated on is male not female). I have proper tools for crimping both types.

E50A110D-0A32-4038-951A-2BE12FD33401-338

Any advice welcome.

Thanks, Roger

Edited by Pogo

Modern vehicles are not really wired point-to-point, they generally use a 'bus' system with multi-way connectors, so there isn't really anything available more 'in keeping' suitable for connecting single wires.

If it might need  to be disconnected I would stick to the devil you know but use heat-shrink on the crimp to give decent strain relief and then the neoprene sleeve over all.  

If you are never going to disconnect it again then a soldered spliced joint with overall heat-shrink sleeve is easy and pretty permanent particularly if you use the glue-lined stuff to keep moisture out. 

If you are connecting multiple wires and may need to disconnect later, this sort of connector looks professional and is quite well sealed:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/42/category/7

Edited by RobH

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at something similar to your link as they look like some of the connectors already used on the car for some of the switches etc.

There are about 9 wires I need to connect, but most of them will be individual connections. I'll go through it and work out what I need - 1, 2, 3 wires /connector etc.

Roger

1 hour ago, ntc said:

Hi Roger 

I do not post often now but be very careful on a Land Rover with can bus you could end up with a big problem whatever you do use a feed from the battery direct

1 hour ago, ntc said:

Hi Roger 

I do not post often now but be very careful on a Land Rover with can bus you could end up with a big problem whatever you do use a feed from the battery direct

Thanks Neil. Hope you are well.