Sealant on overdrive drain plug?

Whilst under my car replacing the clutch slave cylinder I'm also changing my gearbox oil and cleaning out the overdrive filter. When putting back the overdrive filter with new gasket should I use a sealant on it or will a smear of oil suffice please. 

Regards Richard 

I used silicone sealant, but equally important is to use a proper tool for tightening to achieve good gasket compression. For this, I ordered a spanner from Revington, it has one handle. If it would have 2 handles, that would be even better because you could apply “pure torque” like with the double handled wire wheel nut spanners.

Waldi.

19 minutes ago, stuart said:

Spanner half way down on the left of this page https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/buy-spares.php?cat=A Type Spare Parts List

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

that’s the one Revington sell as well.

Cheers,
Waldi

2 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Stuart,

that’s the one Revington sell as well.

Cheers,
Waldi

Price difference? ;)

Stuart.

I don’t know Stuart,

and I needed several parts from Neil, so for me this was definitely the cheapest option.

Customs- and shipping cost would almost triple the price of the tool, thank you Brexit.

Waldi

15 hours ago, Waldi said:

I don’t know Stuart,

and I needed several parts from Neil, so for me this was definitely the cheapest option.

Customs- and shipping cost would almost triple the price of the tool, thank you Brexit.

Waldi

I’m surprised a man with your abilities didn’t make one. I managed to make a C spanner that does the job. 

Rgds Ian

The tool for the Boston Squealy is more than twice the price of the excellent tool from Overdrive Repairs - a tool which I have here.

But, TRs are the poor relation, I suppose.

Ian Cornish

Used a GAZ C spanner left over from adjusting their coil over shocks perfect fit.

Andy

11 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

I’m surprised a man with your abilities didn’t make one. I managed to make a C spanner that does the job. 

Rgds Ian

Thank you Ian, but that’s too much honour. Off course, I considered making my own, but I do not have a milling machine, so choose the easy way;)

Cheers,

Waldi

I bought one of these oil filter removing tools, & find that it makes a very good O/D drain plug remover, the 3 arms pull in as you use it, & grip on 3 of the 6 notches on the plug with out slipping.

20180724_133245.thumb.jpg.0fe4c961ce5882ba9b0666acb5814415.jpg

Bob

Edited by Lebro
9 hours ago, Lebro said:

I bought one of these oil filter removing tools, & find that it makes a very good O/D drain plug remover, the 3 arms pull in as you use it, & grip on 3 of the 6 notches on the plug with out slipping.

20180724_133245.thumb.jpg.0fe4c961ce5882ba9b0666acb5814415.jpg

Bob

Good idea and at least you are getting some value out of the thing because they are no good for taking the oil filter off on a TR - there isn’t enough room to use them. Ask me how I know. :wacko:

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

I like to have a number of alternative oil filter removal tools, as different cars require different methods.

Bob

Smack a screw driver through it and turn?

I’ll get my coat

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Smack a screw driver through it and turn?

I’ll get my coat

Wealth of knowledge Peter. 
is that a Philips or flat bladed ?

51 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Wealth of knowledge Peter. 
is that a Philips or flat bladed ?

Hamish you are a tease.

Either will do.  It is length and thickness that are the critical things…..matron.

59 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Hamish you are a tease.

Either will do.  It is length and thickness that are the critical things…..matron.

:o

but sometimes it’s how you use the tool ?