Replacement wiper arms

Checking the car over prior to an MoT I found the wipers typically reluctant to start, even with the encouragement of a squirt from the washer. Not only that but the friction was so high that the driver's side wheel box spindle could be seen rotating inside the wiper arm head without moving the arm! I concluded that new arms with a wedge lock facility were called for. I sourced a quality UK made pair direct from Tex Automotive, Witney (www.texautomotive.com) for £42 including VAT with guaranteed next day delivery. Part nos U70544 (Driver's side RHD) and U70944  (Passenger's side RHD) I don't think that's too steep for clear vision and note that it is half the price of the equivalent items from RTR - why doesn't that surprise me?!

IMG_1348.JPG

I have successfully fitted the new arms to my 4A.  It was tricky at first to fit the wedge locks over the wheel box spindles but OK when I got the knack.  I found that to fit a new arm it was necessary to loosen the screw fully and place the wedge against the splines on the wheel box spindle then roll the head of the arm over the spindle before pushing firmly home and then fully tightening the screw. At least now that the arms are firmly clamped I have eliminated the problem of the wheel box spindles rotating inside the arms due to wear!

I still of course have the problem that the wipers are reluctant to work, even with the encouragement of a squirt from the screen washer. They need the screen to be properly wet to function normally. I really need the higher torque of a TR6 permanent magnet motor and fitting one of these will have to be my next project. Anyone got a serviceable one for sale complete with mounting kit?

I did encounter two unforeseen snags with the new wiper arms. I first fitted my existing wiper blades to the arms but found that the plastic clips on the carriers were not securely retained on the arms, they could be pulled off very easily and would certainly have come adrift in use. The securing pips for the bayonet fitting on the new  arms are slightly less pronounced than those on my old ones. Fortunately I had a spare set of blades in carriers and I found that the metal clips on these were a secure fit on the new arms. I had to swap the actual blades over as well since my existing ones were silicone, the best I have found.

In addition I was surprised to find that unlike my old arms the new ones do not offer the facility to be hinged back at 90 degrees to the screen. This is not trivial, such a facility is very useful when testing the wiper function since it allows the motor to run without the friction of blades on screen. 

I have passed on these observations to Tex and await comment.

Tim

Hi Tim

I also had the problem of a slow wiper motor that only worked with a wet screen do to previous owner only using when it was motd so I removed the motor cleaned the armature and replaced the brushes now works to a reasonable standard I now always switch the wipers with a dry screen regularly to keep the motor working maybe at some point I will change to the tr6 arrangement but Im quite happy to use as is if it rains whilst out and about as is

Chris     

Thanks Chris. I did overhaul the motor recently, including an inspection of the brushes, which I had changed a few years previously, but to no avail. The rack moves freely and needs far less than the specified maximum force to operate the wheel boxes. Just like my aversion to turning the steering wheel with the car stationary I don't like the idea of using the wipers on a dry screen, that's not what they are designed for and the extra friction must put stress on all components, not to mention the chance of micro-scratches on the screen from grit caught under the blades.

Tim

Tim