I'm after a points cam hook for my Lucas 22d6 distributor, I currently have a 16 degree one fitted, but according to Martin Jay (DD) it should be 7 degree. Or failing that a for parts distributor that has one fitted.

Wanted ad 

20220805_103301_1200x2130.jpg&size=%3C10

20220805_101201_1200x2130.jpg&size=%3C10

Cheers 

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

Hi Jonny,

You should still have the cam hook fitted with the electronic ignition, but no he doesn't have a spare, but he can modify mine, I don't want to take the car off the road right now, so hoping to get one from someone off here.

Gareth

35 minutes ago, John L said:

Dont you just have to weld a bit on the end of the beak part by the number, to reduce the amount of travel?

John

I believe that's all yes, but by how much? I guess it could be done by trial and error using a timing light. I might be able to compare it to another distributor with the correct degrees and get it close.

Gareth

Edit: maybe I could put something over the post the beak part touches to see how it runs first? 

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

That cam will give you 32 crankshaft degrees mechanical advance, so you would need to set the ignition timing at TDC static or suffer major pinking,

I would not suggest using the factory static setting with that distributor advance cam stop, unless melted pistons is your aim.

Peter W

PS yes a bit of tubing over the post the cam nose would stop against will reduce the max mechanical advance.

30 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

That cam will give you 32 crankshaft degrees mechanical advance, so you would need to set the ignition timing at TDC static or suffer major pinking,

I would not suggest using the factory static setting with that distributor advance cam stop, unless melted pistons is your aim.

Peter W

PS yes a bit of tubing over the post the cam nose would stop against will reduce the max mechanical advance.

Yes I agree, I think I set it to how it sounded the best and backed off when pinking, so I'm probably not gettting the best timing at idle

19 minutes ago, John L said:

Your idea of a bit of tube on the other spring post could work,  here is a Lucas document that may help measuring the beak.

Tuning_the_Lucas_Distributor.PDF.pdf 443.12 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks John i'll take a look

4 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Hi, in my box of junk that I really should have thrown out 40 years ago I've got one marked at 10 degrees that you are welcome to.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, pm sent. Edit just read your next reply, ah shame.

I think I've found one through my local group, will update if I get hold of it and show a comparison picture. 

That Lucas information was great John by the way. 

Gareth

So here are the 7 and 16 degree cam hooks.

20220809_203859.thumb.jpg.84419cf37b3ca4fcebfe88e269bce757.jpg20220815_105116.thumb.jpg.5ae1978d0d238a6baddd17237da87bc5.jpg

You can see how much more the 7 degree restricts movement with its longer hook. I can report that I have a better idle but also the engine revs better up to the red line, and feels like there is more torque, as with a passenger there isn't such a noticeable drop in power with the extra weight like before. I partly put that down to having to retard the 16 degree back to stop pinking, but also I fitted the advance springs that were on the 7 degree one, so perhaps they have altered the curve over those that were on the 16 degree one. I've yet to keep advancing until I get pinking, so maybe there is some small gains left to find? 

All in all the car feels nicer to drive with the correct set up. 

Gareth

32 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

20220809_203859.thumb.jpg.84419cf37b3ca4fcebfe88e269bce757.jpg20220815_105116.thumb.jpg.5ae1978d0d238a6baddd17237da87bc5.jpg

You can see how much more the 7 degree restricts movement with its longer hook. I can report that I have a better idle but also the engine revs better up to the red line, and feels like there is more torque, as with a passenger there isn't such a noticeable drop in power with the extra weight like before. I partly put that down to having to retard the 16 degree back to stop pinking, but also I fitted the advance springs that were on the 7 degree one, so perhaps they have altered the curve over those that were on the 16 degree one. I've yet to keep advancing until I get pinking, so maybe there is some small gains left to find? 

Gareth

Good result

Peter W

40 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Gareth

The correct springs also make a difference to how the curve advances as well, talk to Martin (Distributor Doctor) about this as he can supply the correct ones to suit.

Stuart.

12 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Good result

Peter W

Yes I don't think i'd have ever have looked under the base plate if I wasn't chasing a misfire and wondered if the weight's were sticking.

4 minutes ago, stuart said:

The correct springs also make a difference to how the curve advances as well, talk to Martin (Distributor Doctor) about this as he can supply the correct ones to suit.

Stuart.

Yeah I figured I should use the springs that were fitted to the 7 degree one so that the whole thing was matched.

2 hours ago, Z320 said:

same-same

Very pleased with the modification now.

Ciao, Marco

Just read your thread and how you reduced the total advance amount, you can imagine how mine was running with a 16 degree points cam! Amazing difference after fitting the correct cam.

Gareth

33 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Never trust what the previous owner did or told you :lol:

Especially true of the car Im working on at the moment, looks like it was built using the bargain bucket of assorted nuts and bolts!

Stuart.