Anyone fitted a modern stereo.. Does it fit?

I've just removed the old 80s stereo from my TR6 as part of a gearbox out job (That's another story!) 

Please wait while image is uploading...

The old 80s radio cassette never worked properly and I've been given a, Panasonic 90s unused cd/radio

I know you can get retro units that the spindles will fit through existing holes but I notice from looking at the dash bracket support (photo attached) that somebody has already done some nasty cutting at some point in the cars 51 year life! 

Has anybody fitted a modern style stereo like mine? I think I need to purchase some sort of cradle for it to sit in and will have to cut the crash bracket some more (neatly this time!!) to make it fit.. I'd there enough room at the back for such a unit?? 

I know I won't use it much as I enjoy the sound of the engine but just a job I'd like to sort. 

Thanks for your help

Please wait while image is uploading...

Yes it does fit .

Stuart.

Library pic

Paul Cave TR250 009.jpg

Marko 045.jpg

Edited by stuart
34 minutes ago, brenda said:

I know that is not your car Stuart but I would have to tidy up that wiring and those cable joints.

Mike redrose group 

Thought it was just me - that tie wrap not being snipped is grating against my inner OCD…

1 hour ago, brenda said:

I know that is not your car Stuart but I would have to tidy up that wiring and those cable joints.

Mike redrose group 

Ha ha as stated thats a library picture taken just before I removed the entire loom and fitted a new one as it was a converted left hand drive car and they had extended all sorts of bits of the loom with the only colour they had (Red) and there was scotchlocs as well!

Stuart.

This is more pics of the same car before i took the snips to it.

Paul Cave TR250 001.jpg

Paul Cave TR250 002.jpg

Paul Cave TR250 004.jpg

Paul Cave TR250 005.jpg

Paul Cave TR250 008.jpg

Paul Cave TR250 011.jpg

Paul Cave TR250 012.jpg

Paul Cave TR250 013.jpg

Another attempt at loading my photos of the components involved....1.jpg.9995b2e29bad685f8759c934517ecd02.jpg2.thumb.jpg.1ec703eedf422859556c2cc253574cea.jpg3.thumb.jpg.92199d551a5269e48c102b68eb03abea.jpg

When I bought mine it already had a modern single DIN unit fitted so yes they can be made to fit. I quickly removed mine and put a cubby box in the space. Toying with fitting a Bluetooth amplifier somewhere discreet but you don't really have TR6 to listen to music?

You could leave as is and fit a small bluetooth amp somewhere hidden away. Then use your phone as the head unit. I've done this in my stag. Works well. 

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 10:29 AM, RobRennie said:

Hi, I have successfully fitted a Double Din heat unit with Apple Car Play.

Obv the opening needs enlarging, but it does just fit in....

Pictures please

Gareth

1 hour ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Pictures please

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Will do, the car is in at Revington's  right now -  this is one I took straight after fitting it - it is all much improved since then.

When it comes back, I'll take some more..

Cheers.

IMG_4023.jpeg

56 minutes ago, RobRennie said:

Hi Gareth,

Will do, the car is in at Revington's  right now -  this is one I took straight after fitting it - it is all much improved since then.

When it comes back, I'll take some more..

Cheers.

IMG_4023.jpeg

Thanks, and yes I'd like to see the finished article, mine has been badly bodged so I'm considering the double Din to sort it out. 

Cheers

Gareth

Long story short- it need cutting out from where the curve is at the bottom of the frame. 

At the top, it is cut off completely and a new flat piece welded onto it.

This was beyond my skills, I had a company down the road, Castle Engineering do it for me.

I then put, quite badly I am afraid, a leather cover I picked up from Ebay - I plan to look again at it in the winter.

Yeah i can see now how far it extends up (and down) the H frame on your picture, quite a bit of surgery!

Gareth

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 3:38 PM, RobRennie said:

Long story short- it need cutting out from where the curve is at the bottom of the frame. 

At the top, it is cut off completely and a new flat piece welded onto it.

This was beyond my skills, I had a company down the road, Castle Engineering do it for me.

I then put, quite badly I am afraid, a leather cover I picked up from Ebay - I plan to look again at it in the winter.

Hi Rob

Could you tell me the make/model of the unit you fitted? I'm looking to find a head unit myself.

Cheers, Robert

Hi Robert,

Was not exactly this one, but the same series: Sony XAV-AX1000

These units are full din at the front but half din behind. 

I fitted a full DIN cage to it, so most full DIN units would work just fine.

Edited by RobRennie
Insert part number