Anyone believe this would work?

My son's C Class Merc (that he just sold) had these lights. Most impressive as they moved around and missed oncoming cars. Sometime they didn't and had a couple of new looms, etc, under waranty!

A problem with these high intensity and highly directional lamps is that the drivers' eyes get accustomed to their brightness, so it becomes harder to see things in the shadows, such as the drunken pedestrian on the pavement who's just about to step out.

Pete

Agreed - and it isn't just car lights. The new LED street lights have the same effect. The old soft yellow sodium lights didn't affect night vision half as badly but the deep black shadows thrown by the high-contrast of glaring white LED lamps are positively dangerous, I think. 

My wife has a new GLC Merc. It has LED adaptive self dipping headlights. Of all the extras on all the cars I have ever driven this is the best. Maybe with the only exception of air conditioning. I will buy any new car in the future based on whether they have this type of headlight. The Merc version works brilliantly and does not blind on comers. You can see it working as others approach. It is just like magic!

Keith

Just out of interest whats it like driving in a TR when someone is behind you with these lights? I find they tend to just flood the cabin with such a bright light you could almost switch yours off!

Stuart.

38 minutes ago, stuart said:

Just out of interest whats it like driving in a TR when someone is behind you with these lights? I find they tend to just flood the cabin with such a bright light you could almost switch yours off!

Stuart.

I have considered a hand held laser pointer to flash over my shoulder into the eyes of the offending driver……..

On 8/16/2022 at 1:02 PM, stuart said:

Stuart.

HI Stuart,

very good question. Did plenty of night driving on the RBRR. I have LEDs on my TR so had feedback from other drivers. Also experienced cars following with LEDs (moderns, TRs and other triumphs).

First impression from other road users about my LEDs were that they are very bright and being followed by me was not the most comfortable experience. However, it was not as bad as some of the other TRs with LEDs. I had had the aim done by the garage, but not with two up and a boot full of spares. I think this raised the aim some and next time I will get the aim done with more weight in the back. I suspect the more dazzling TRs with LEDs may not have had the aim redone between halogens and LEDs.

Being followed by cars with LEDs. Modern 4WDs were by far the worst but dipping rear view mirror solves most issues although on motorways reflections in the wing mirror can be bad. I have an MGF rear view mirror (larger and with in built map lights) and it tilts perhaps more than the original.

Hope this helps

Tim

18 hours ago, Tim D. said:

HI Stuart,

very good question. Did plenty of night driving on the RBRR. I have LEDs on my TR so had feedback from other drivers. Also experienced cars following with LEDs (moderns, TRs and other triumphs).

First impression from other road users about my LEDs were that they are very bright and being followed by me was not the most comfortable experience. However, it was not as bad as some of the other TRs with LEDs. I had had the aim done by the garage, but not with two up and a boot full of spares. I think this raised the aim some and next time I will get the aim done with more weight in the back. I suspect the more dazzling TRs with LEDs may not have had the aim redone between halogens and LEDs.

Being followed by cars with LEDs. Modern 4WDs were by far the worst but dipping rear view mirror solves most issues although on motorways reflections in the wing mirror can be bad. I have an MGF rear view mirror (larger and with in built map lights) and it tilts perhaps more than the original.

Hope this helps

Tim

Thought that might be the case, I know even in a modern with auto dipping mirror a 4x4 behind with those lights isnt pleasant.

Stuart.

Was it in an episode of 'The Goodies' where they were building a car to win a race?  Remember also the hand signal device - Turning Left, Turning Right, Turning Nasty

A question was raised about the lack of a windscreen and somewhere to put the rear view mirror, and the swift reply was - "we want to know where we are going not where we have beeen"