In situ A Type OD Solenoid wiring testing

Hi all

This might be a daft question but I've no past experience to relate to.

Completed a new loom for the OD and now need to test all is well. Before I apply any power to activate the solenoid will I cause any damage in doing so given the OD unit will be static?

Thanks

Andy 

The overdrive does not need to be turning to test it electrically.

The electrical test will prove the two circuits, operation switch, lock out switches on the gearbox, relay and solenoid.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Andy,

the solenoid takes some 20A to move, and once it is in the working position (engaged), the current should drop to (from memory) around 0,5A. It would be good to test this; if the current remains high, you need to adjust the solenoid position (lever).

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

if the current remains high, you need to adjust the solenoid position (lever)

If the current does remain high don't leave the power on for more than a few seconds, else you risk burning out the solenoid coil.

Also while its engaged check its adjustment on the opposite side to make sure the solenoid is pulling the actuating mechanism in far enough to open the valve inside. (See workshop manual)

Stuart.

Thanks all for the advice.

The box/OD rebuilt and tested by Pe†e Cox so probably fair to conclude the solenoid/OD adjustments are ok.

Just a thought could I not simply wire in a test lamp in place of the solenoid to test the relay, switch and inhibitor operation?

Andy

23 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Thanks all for the advice.

The box/OD rebuilt and tested by Pe†e Cox so probably fair to conclude the solenoid/OD adjustments are ok.

Just a thought could I not simply wire in a test lamp in place of the solenoid to test the relay, switch and inhibitor operation?

Andy

Yes.  A test lamp will prove the circuit whereas the solenoid will give you thar reassuring ‘clonk’ as it pulls in.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
6 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Yes.  A test lamp will prove the circuit whereas the solenoid will give you thar reassuring ‘clonk’ as it pulls in.

Thanks Blue?

Sounds like a plan.

Andy