LED Dimmer Switch for Dash Fascia on TR4A.

Is there a LED dimmer switch available that has a long enough shank to go through the wood dash fascia.
All of the ones that I can see for sale are not suitable to poke through the dash fascia.
I do not want to convert the original rheostat switch.
As I have a new blank fascia, and not concerned with originality, I would prefer to buy an aftermarket dedicated switch.

Hi Peter, Yes I have researched the dimmers.

My problem is that they are made to attach as a separate item, or through a thin sheet of metal... I want to have the rotating knob poking through the timber dash fascia.

Personally I struggle to see the point of dimming the instrument lights. Even with LED bulbs they are not so bright as to be distracting so I have taken it out of circuit on mine.

Perhaps Triumph fitted the rheostat as a source of trouble and seeking an LED comliant alternative unnecessary.

You could fit an LED compliant one behind the dash as it's not going to be something you will change very often once you are happy with the light levels and leave the originl switch in place to keep the correct "look" even if non-functional.

I don’t have LED bulbs and always found the standard ones useless unless the rheostat was turned right up. Finally did as others have done and removed it from the circuit. The rheostat fell apart when I removed it. I used the knob on my intermittent wipers. 

22 hours ago, RobH said:

Thanks Rob.....I presume you suggesting removing the potentiometer of the controller and replacing it with the guitar one?

Yes - if you need the longer thread to get through the panel.  The controller one is labelled '100k' in the photos so any other of the same value will do the job just as well. 

12 hours ago, Rockie51 said:

I don’t have LED bulbs and always found the standard ones useless unless the rheostat was turned right up. Finally did as others have done and removed it from the circuit. The rheostat fell apart when I removed it. I used the knob on my intermittent wipers. 

Interesting....Using the original wiper motor?

4 minutes ago, RobH said:

Yes - if you need the longer thread to get through the panel.  The controller one is labelled '100k' in the photos so any other of the same value will do the job just as well. 

OK thanks Rob...I have got the picture now.:)

Yes Malcolm. I bought the kit from Retronicsonline.com in the UK. Also sold by Revington. It works with the standard 2 speed motor. I also bought their hazard flasher kit so I know have two extra knobs on the H panel. Top left is the former rheostat which is now the intermittent wipers, centre bottom is hazard lights and the one to the right of that is for the spotlights which are wired but not yet fitted. F3C4FC74-877B-4DE6-8974-AEF984362C6D.thumb.jpeg.5b5f25cfc970d14f11c7efb7c568d7b4.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/4/2022 at 12:08 AM, RobH said:

Tried this (controller-adjustable) and does not work.Perhaps wired up wrongly. LEDS from Classic Car Leds.

As I do not drive so much when dark should I forget it as going round and round in ever decreasing circles.

Could you make me one up Bob please and simple wiring diagram ?. Live feed(red)  then feed to LED lights (red white trace)  Then earth

Regards Harry

Edited by harrytr5

Hi Harry,

that controller should work.

Why not try to make it work

All the LED's should be on the White/Red wire.  So 12V into the controller  (this can be the White/Red wire)   Then White /Red out of the controller.

Controller has a Black earth as do the LED's * the LED's are already earthed.

Try it on the bench first with one LED

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I used to be fairly good at this but have not used my electronic cells (brain) for so long and my chips are down.

This is how I wired it up. Red power and the motor LEDS red and white. Reversed it and just the same. LED lamps on and no dimming at all.

Regards Harry20240204_112926_resized_1.thumb.jpg.bd577889912ecea9b7fda85bfa5d2ca5.jpg

The circuit it clearly meant to control the speed of a motor. I'm wondering if the LED's are providing sufficient load for the circuit to work properly..

Harry. I can make you a simple dimmer if you like, can you detail exactly which LEDs you want to use, & how many. Also not having a TR4 I am not clear on what the normal dimmer (or switch) & knob look like, & how the knob is attached to the switch (or dimmer)

227b3731-fb0f-4b31-a095-74035791d604.thumb.jpg.5b85d1350475bec017014b355a03837a.jpg 6e494b01-3a0d-45e1-a4dc-351137a04117.thumb.jpg.ad9e551dfbf58b1f424cefbe23541def.jpg ad55ec57-239b-43e6-8b33-a4fe90f1c92a.thumb.jpg.72fd25e8182aac00ddad68aac8888c4b.jpg

This is how I did it for my TR3

Bob 

Thanks Bob,

Nine LEDS for lighting and are from Classic Car Leds. Removed the old dimmer original pot and connected the Red and trace white cables together with their separate earthing holders connected up to earths. I will make a bracket up to fit the pot which will go below the dash so need a simple knob to turn down the power like the one you have shown.

Let me know the cost and I will bank transfer or if going to Stoneliegh pay you cash.

I  will PM you my Mobile.

Regards Harry

8 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Thanks Bob,

Nine LEDS for lighting and are from Classic Car Leds. Removed the old dimmer original pot and connected the Red and trace white cables together with their separate earthing holders connected up to earths. I will make a bracket up to fit the pot which will go below the dash so need a simple knob to turn down the power like the one you have shown.

Let me know the cost and I will bank transfer or if going to Stoneliegh pay you cash.

I  will PM you my Mobile.

Regards Harry

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/2-x-glb504-t10-led-capless-wedge-bulbs-classic-car-gauge-dashboard five of these

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/glb987-e10mes-green-8-smd-led-flat-bulbs-dashboard-gauge-lighting and four of these

Edited by harrytr5

Sorry Bob its my TR5 and modern wiring looms have a mixture of capless (or push on) and screwed type. The capless are just normal leds just like the screw in.

The screw in are for the speedo and rev counter. The capless are for the small gauges (I have a clock in place of the original dimmer)

Hope that clarifies Bob.

I have two  forum pages running so apologise for this.

Regards Harry20220421_205007_resized.thumb.jpg.a1c60687facaf519673ee06b490e2830.jpg